Inliners International
Posted By: Wayne Arndorfer 1947-53 Chevy w/292 - motor mounts - 09/22/20 03:03 PM
I'm installing a Chevy 292 in a 1949 Chevy 1/2 ton. Does anyone know where I can get rear engine mounts for this setup? I'm looking for mounts that go between the bell housing and the crossmember. The bell housing connection site flares up which matches the angle of the crossmember. Thanks

Wayne
Posted By: Blackwater Re: 1947-53 Chevy w/292 - motor mounts - 09/22/20 05:17 PM
Speedway has a universal bracket set that bolts between the engine and the bell housing! I've used it on automatic transmission installations and it works great!!

You'll probably have to come up with some sort of rubber biscuit mounts like a tri-five Chevy uses and maybe fabricate the attaching points for the frame.

I don't know how it will work with a manual transmission. I had to space the torque converter back off of the flex plate the thickness of the brackets to make it work.
Have you thought of using the later six/small block bell housing that has rear mounts on it? Some fab work but pretty easy.
Thanks I'll check into it.
This is the one I was thinking of. Late '60s-early '70s GM pickup. There are pads and bolt holes for mounts. An issue is that they use the old style starter mount and will only work with a 168 tooth flywheel but a 292 had that.

LINK
Posted By: GMJager Re: 1947-53 Chevy w/292 - motor mounts - 09/24/20 07:37 PM
When you say "flares up" do you mean the bellhousing is angled at the site of the mounts? That's how the 54-55.1 AD trucks were.

I have this style rubber mounting pads
Mounts
Yes it angles up. Maybe "flares up" was the wrong choice of words.
Does your engine mount to a crossmember or to perches on the side rails of the frame?
Posted By: mick53 Re: 1947-53 Chevy w/292 - motor mounts - 10/10/20 03:21 PM
These are what I'm using on my 292 in my 53 3100

Attached File
engine mounts 1 resize.jpg  (48 downloads)
Attached File
engine mounts 2 resize.jpg  (36 downloads)
Originally Posted By: mick53
These are what I'm using on my 292 in my 53 3100

Mick,

Are you trying to tease us or something?

You got that motor mounted up?

I need to look around and see if you posted any pics... wink
© Inliners International Bulletin Board