Inliners International
Posted By: Rayzors68 Towing a camp trailer - 05/30/04 10:26 PM
How many of you use your inline in a tow rig? Lets here some stories.
Posted By: GMDad Re: Towing a camp trailer - 05/30/04 11:43 PM
I have a 292 with a S-10 5 spd that I towed my 16' race car trailer with for over a year. Only problem was a small crack in the frame that I have since repaired. The '65 is undergoing a restoration right now so it won't be doing any towing this summer but it sure made a great package for towing and also with the overdrive 5 spd.
Posted By: 63redtudor Re: Towing a camp trailer - 05/31/04 02:49 AM
So far I've used my 300 to tow a car trailer & a Uhaul trailer from oregon to colorado. The blue mountains of eastern oregon & blizzards in wyoming SUCK. I had to slow down a bit for the hills, but for the most part I kept up with traffic on I80 & 84 just fine. Unfortunately I can't drive the truck right now as I blew the head gasket, warped the head, burned 6 valves, messed up all of the valve guides, broke several rings, burned & cracked a piston. Wasn't really my intention to do all of that, but I guess I don't mess around with screwing up a motor. With all of this though, it still got me the 100 miles back home. Not interested in repeating that experiance!
Edwin
Posted By: Desert Dove Re: Towing a camp trailer - 06/04/04 12:07 PM
I have been towing an 18ft TT as well as having an 800lb.Quad(ATV)in the bed all over the mountains of Arizona and Utah, 8-10,000 ft. altitude, with a 250 cid 1/2 ton GMC. It was painfully slow going up when it was stock. Now... I have put a cam, headers, good intake, duel point ignition, and a Sag. 4spd in it the old truck seems to like that much better. The 4spd added some mid range and the rest added some RPM's I also have a 99" Dodge RAM with the 5.7 motor but I still love dviving the GMC better. More fun you understand.
Drive on...
DD
Posted By: Ed Pruss Re: Towing a camp trailer - 06/04/04 12:41 PM
I used to have an early Bronco with a NP-540
5-speed tranny behind a twin 3 cyl Buick engine that I towed loads up to 14,000 GVW with just fine. It is a close ratio 4-speed with a granny gear. That makes a great combination. No OD though, so you have to select the correct rear end ratio. I had 3.50 gears with 225x15 Michelin tires.

Ed Pruss
Longmont, CO
Posted By: jimfred Re: Towing a camp trailer - 06/16/04 04:08 PM
I found an NOS trailer hitch and put it on my 63 Nova convertible (original 194 inline). I used it to tow a small (matching red) trailer to deliver pine straw for a Boy Scout fundraiser. At some of the deliveries people came out with cameras! The car ran fine for the whole 10 hours!

Lately I've been using the hitch to hold a bike rack for the kids who are working on their cycling merit badge.

Jim
© Inliners International Bulletin Board