Inliners International
Posted By: tlowe #1716 41 Hudson Father and Son Project - 10/09/13 05:57 PM
Over the years, I have been taking my boy to every car thing he could do with me. And thanks to you guy's , he has formed a idea of what he wants. So we went in search locally for the project. Money and condition were of major concerns.

We looked at a local really nicely preserved 54 1 ton with no rust. Then the seller decided to keep it. Next was one I knew of for at least 15 years. The gentleman was a friend and has a few older cars he enjoys. He told me about this old Hudson he had that was in bad shape that he had in a barn since 1975. He described it as in bad shape and needing lots of work. Jake and I decided to call him and schedule a look.

Here is what we find in the barn. When we first looked at it, we were speechless. Upon inspection with a flashlight, no rust holes were found. Just minor dents. 2 motors in the back, the original 212 and a spare. We negotiated a price and bought it.

We picked it up over the weekend, cleaned out the back and cab, then took it over to wash up.

It needs plenty of work, but is a breath taking vehicle to start with.

Here is the old owner with the new one.
He drove school bus for my kids.

We plan on starting with disc brakes, sway bar and a modern rear axle. Stock fame and front suspension. Redo the inside of cab. Install 3 point seat belts.Install a driver 250 / 700r4 combo and drive it to the convention in Colorado next year.

He installed a 221 small block ford in the early 70's, with a auto. Painted it and drove it for a short time before parking. The barn was almost blown down in 2011 by the same storm that blew my building down.

Posted By: CNC-Dude #5585 Re: 41 Hudson Father and Son Project - 10/09/13 07:28 PM
So what about it is in "bad" shape, looks pretty good to me. Nice score for your boy.
What a great find. Makes me want to go to Colorado just to see it. Sounds like a good spot for a Big Hudson Flathead.
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: 41 Hudson Father and Son Project - 10/09/13 11:08 PM
Thought about the 308? Hudson from the 50's. Hard for me to find. I doubt they can match the economy or performance of a 250 Chevy. We are not looking for a Hot Rod, but a cool cruiser.

Beater, are you gonna go to Colorado? I hope so.
Posted By: Hud I Re: 41 Hudson Father and Son Project - 10/09/13 11:17 PM
Saw your post over on the Hudson board. That was a great find. You and your son should have a great time building it. Keep us up to date on the build. Hud
This Studebaker Express Coupe may give you some ideas. Is it going to have a gun rack Jake?

LINK
Posted By: Sam Welch Re: 41 Hudson Father and Son Project - 10/12/13 08:18 AM
I am most envious! My grandson Hudson would fit just perfect behind the wheel...in about 10 years. Good on you!
Posted By: mike 53-210 Re: 41 Hudson Father and Son Project - 10/12/13 04:36 PM
Congradulation Jake. That is exciting news.
Posted By: popper6 Re: 41 Hudson Father and Son Project - 10/13/13 01:39 AM
Great Tom glad to see it!!!!! 1 OL RENECK!!!!!
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: 41 Hudson Father and Son Project - 10/22/13 12:03 AM
Thanks Guys!
It is official. We have started on it. Pushed it into the shop on Sunday. Took 5 of us with the front brakes dragging.
First task was to grease all of the front end. There are at least 22 grease zerks on the front of this beast. All of them had rock hard grease to be picked thru. Jake persevered. It turns much better and better yet seems tight.

Next was removing of the front tires and all of the front drum brake assemblies. Just a spindle and knee are showing. Removed the drums from the spindles (riveted together). Getting hubs ready to mount much newer parts house rotors on. Will be making our own brackets to hold calipers.

Removed the rusty exhaust to just clear the way.

Pulled the factory master cylinder and will fit up a dual reservoir unit next.

Picked up a used rear bumper from a 53 -56 ford pickup at a swapmeet on Sat. It will get mounted.

Jake had to get some thin shop overalls. Mom does not like so much grease rubbed on his pants. Got to teach him to use rags.
I just wear rags. Jake is a lucky guy to have a dad that gets so much done.
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: 41 Hudson Father and Son Project - 11/18/13 01:31 AM
He is staying cleaner know. My daughter likes to wear my coat in the shop, it turns out to be a grease rag for her.

Well,got a update for you guy's.

We got the front disc brake adaptors made. Ended with 1 plate with the correct holes and patterns cut into it. It uses 4 spacer to space the bracket toward middle of truck , for rotor clearance. Turned out nice. 11 inch front rotors on the original hubs. Pics later. It helps that I have a milling machine.

Also have the bracket made to adapt the Torino master cylinder to the factory M/C location. Even made 1 extra.

Tonight, we dropped the rear axle. Those rear shackles were stubborn! One of them broke a 1/2" Impact extension. It took heat, a 1000 ft lb impact and a sawzall (my favorite tool)for the one that broke it's nut off. Then extraction in pieces.

Now we need a pair of rear shackles. Where to get them. Can normal parts counter places supply them? If so, got a part #?

Also need the part # for the front hub seals.

Once the brakes are done, then we will start on the motor/ trans.

Also received a American Autowire kit. 20 circuits in a generic package setup. Plenty of wire to go everywhere and extra for later.

We got a aluminum panel started for the dash insert. We "engine turned" the face in 3/4" swirls on the mill. That took awhile. Now have to mount the Jeep speedo and tach and make a edge surround.
Great progress. Did you miss the weather this time?

SEALS

It says they have SHACKLES but you'll have to contact them.

Well the links are not working for me but I think Kanter has what you need.
Posted By: DeuceCoupe Re: 41 Hudson Father and Son Project - 11/20/13 02:14 AM
Awesome project Tom!
My dad's first auto job was at the Hudson plant in 1946 so he built some of those 212cid flatheads

If the 212 is still there maybe you can measure the bore spacing and deck height? (Yup, the Gonkulator database goes back that far, always scrounging numbers!)

I think the 202 "Jet" engine is just a 212 with a smaller bore?
Duce, How about my 413 Dodge flathead six? That would give you some numbers to play with.
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: 41 Hudson Father and Son Project - 11/21/13 01:20 AM
Beater,
That weather missed us. It was nasty enough to keep us in the shop. Progressing on the truck.

Deuce,
We are not running the 212. There is 2 of them that came with truck. I believe 3" bore 5" stroke?
Posted By: DeuceCoupe Re: 41 Hudson Father and Son Project - 11/22/13 09:16 PM
Tom,
Oh I know you werent gonna run the old 212 just thought if you get to measuring anything.

BTW if U havent found it yet check out
http://www.hudsonterraplane.com

About a zillion PDF's of Hudson tech manuals etc up there, way cool stuff.
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: 41 Hudson Father and Son Project - 12/14/13 01:51 AM
We have been making plenty of progress on the Big Boy.
Changed the rear axle (Ford Explorer)
Made the front disc brake setup
Converted it to dual reservoir master cylinder
Less rear leaf springs
Front sway bar added
All new brake lines
And many other things.

To do:
rewire entire truck
Repower with 250/700r4
Put gaskets in the doors
Put in a heater
Turn signals/ brake lights and flashers
Redo the seat and add some interior insulation / sound deadener.
Remove steering box and go thru it.
Pictures? Let us see the proof.
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: 41 Hudson Father and Son Project - 12/16/13 12:15 AM
Hard to slow down enough to take them. We do have some. This is a very busy time of year. ugh.
Jake will wish he had pictures. I have no pictures of my first car, of my first several cars. And yes Jalopy, they did have cameras then.
Posted By: Xerxes Re: 41 Hudson Father and Son Project - 12/23/13 07:16 PM
Just wanted to take a minute and share this. When I was 16 I got my first car, a 55 Ford. From the inside of the car you could put your foot on the ground from a number of places. Rocker panels were toast, bottoms of quarters were rusted through. My Dad assured me we could repair it. I had my doubts. But we did. I was the envy of my friends who had seen this thing come to life. It was truly a great father son project. The lessons learned and the memories have lasted me a life time and they will Jake as well.
X2 ^

Likewise, with me and my son's Anglia.
X2 ^

Likewise, with me and my son's Anglia.

Posted By: George Re: 41 Hudson Father and Son Project - 05/10/14 12:41 AM
Any more news regarding the father-son project?
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: 41 Hudson Father and Son Project - 10/28/14 03:58 PM
We have worked on the truck. Brakes are done and working , makes me feel better when pushing it around the shop and yard.
We made the engine and trans mount for the 250 and 700r4. Even had one sitting in there to make the exh head pipes. Then pulled it out for the real thing and start on the wiring.

Picked up a Hudson pickup box trailer to pull behind. Got it after the HAMB drags. Hauled the tires in the wagon, they are for the Hudson truck. Jacob asked me. Dad, didn't we order White Walls?

Nice trailer. That will look great behind the pickup. You'll have a place to sleep at Bonneville. You can camp by us.
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: 41 Hudson Father and Son Project - 10/28/14 04:34 PM
I am sure we will do that in the future.

Here are more pics.
Brakes
rear bumper (56 Ford)
engine/ trans
Gas tank cleaning (vinegar/ Glass)

Tom I really like your gas tank agitator. Your my kind of guy. It is so neat to see someone using what they have to accomplish something rather than going out and buying a new one. It never fails to amuse me when someone throws something away and buys a new one when a very small investment of time and money can make the one they have as good or better than it ever was. You are teaching your son to use his brain and that is the most valuable thing you can do for him no matter if he is fixing an old car or building a new space craft. Good Job.
It reminds me a lot of when my Jake and I built his Studebaker Wagon with the supercharged 289 . What is it with these Jake kids can't they have regular cars? I like the tank cleaner.
Nice project. I love the fenders on the trailer - nobody will mistake it for a U-Haul. The trans crossmember is well executed too. Did you bush the mount attachment holes?
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: 41 Hudson Father and Son Project - 10/30/14 11:30 PM
No , it is not bushed. Instead it is cut out on the top and allows the trans to sit into it.
Posted By: jfreakofkorn Re: 41 Hudson Father and Son Project - 11/12/14 03:33 PM
nice progress
Posted By: gbauer Re: 41 Hudson Father and Son Project - 11/13/14 11:52 AM
Digging the home-made brake brackets. Well done!
Posted By: eagleuh1 Re: 41 Hudson Father and Son Project - 11/15/14 07:39 PM
Beautiful truck. Don't see many Hudson pickups. Definitely will be unique ride for a teenager. Wish I had a son to wrench with. Could use the extra hands sometimes. LOL. Jim
Posted By: eagleuh1 Re: 41 Hudson Father and Son Project - 12/26/14 08:16 PM
Any new progress. This is such a unique truck, I've never seen one anyways. Merry Christmas and Happy New Years. Jim
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: 41 Hudson Father and Son Project - 01/03/15 07:34 PM
It is in the shop and getting closer to dropping the final drivetrain into it.
The paint is so thin, I had Jake wipe it down with really thin oil. To protect the metal. Even had him spray the lower side with the stuff. Later on we will paint it proper. In a few years.

Keep up the good work I expect to see it in Dayton July 2016, that will be a short run for you two. How old is Jake?
That is looking really good, I bet Jake is getting excited. He'll be driving a one of a kind for sure.
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: 41 Hudson Father and Son Project - 01/15/15 01:05 AM
Jake is 14 as of august. He is just above my eyebrows! I am sure he will pass me up in height.
We are looking forward to driving the ole green Hudson and possibly pulling a trailer.

Beater, He has so many interests. One thing going on now is Robotics. He is on a team and I am a coach. His team is doing really well in competitions, infact, this weekend is league championships. In the last 3 competitions, the team got 1st, 1st and 4 th.
WOW, That's great. Don't let him make a Transformer out of the Hudson. laugh
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: 41 Hudson Father and Son Project - 02/14/16 04:44 PM
Just a progress update on the Hudson.
Jake and I are wiring the truck up. Getting other things done at the same time.
Like:
Electric windshield wipers
Cruise control
Turn signals
Electric fuel pump
Full gauges and speedo
Engine turned dash parts
New glass
Sounds pretty fancy for a kid. Are you sure you're not one of those helicopter dads? laugh
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: 41 Hudson Father and Son Project - 02/14/16 11:58 PM
There is a lot of swap meet and junk yard parts going into this project. The wiper motor is a single speed from a 65 Chevelle. Rear was a freebee from my friendly junkyard. Swapmeet trans is a 700r4.

What's a Helicopter dad?

It is also going to get a rollbar to secure seatbelts to and give some protection from a crash with side bars too. This old truck is just a single layer of tin surrounding you.
Helicopter parents are the opposite of parents who do nothing for their kids, always buzzing around and doing everything for their kids. I'm sure Jake is getting his hands dirty. The Hudson sounds great.
Posted By: TJ's Chevy Re: 41 Hudson Father and Son Project - 03/17/16 01:40 AM
In for the build. Looking good!
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: 41 Hudson Father and Son Project - 03/17/16 05:34 PM
Here is one of Jake cleaning up the Wide white walls.
We took the factory skinny 16" rims and sent them out to be widened. from 4.5" to 7 on front and 8 on rear. That way we keep the factory hubcaps in use.
Those look really nice.
I like the shape of the Hudson fenders too.
Looking good! Way o go Jake. cool
Posted By: TJ's Chevy Re: 41 Hudson Father and Son Project - 03/19/16 12:15 AM
Looks real nice!
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: 41 Hudson Father and Son Project - 07/03/16 10:08 AM
We are making more progress.
Hope to start it up in the next few days.

Posted By: Blackwater Re: 41 Hudson Father and Son Project - 07/03/16 11:07 AM
Ultra cool!! Hopefully I'll get to see it up close sometime next month!!
Posted By: Blackwater Re: 41 Hudson Father and Son Project - 07/08/16 12:25 AM
I'd like to get a look at that truck and some of your other stuff. Be passing through there toward the end of the first week in August.

Lemme know if that will work with your schedule!!
Posted By: TJ's Chevy Re: 41 Hudson Father and Son Project - 07/11/16 01:55 AM
Cool!
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: 41 Hudson Father and Son Project - 08/14/16 11:20 PM
She is a runner! Today we did the finishing touches on the ignition and associated wiring. Topped off the vital fluids and fired right up on the first try. The boy was certainly surprised. Gave a 20 minute run time for the cam breakin and gave the trans it's first front and back go.

Now we can at least drive it instead of pushing it.

Not on the road yet but closer.
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: 41 Hudson Father and Son Project - 08/26/21 03:09 PM
Today was the first day it was driven on a road by it's own power for over 40 years. Video link below.
Jacob was not here to help as he has his own thing going on. He is now 21 years old and is facing very tough life challenge. He was diagnosed with Muscular Dystrophy last year. It is affecting his lower limbs the most , but is also affecting his arms and all around strength. Many of you have met him at national conventions. We were planning on driving the Hudson to the convention for 2021. Now cancelled. He is 2 years done with college and has decided to forego further college while he still is mobile.
He is visiting our great country in a camper we made (it has a inline) Currently somewhere in Oregon. His sisters have put together a gofundme for him. https://gofund.me/71156826

The Hudson really surprised me on how well it drove on the highway. Very smooth and turns easy and tracks nice. It is a fun one.
https://youtu.be/svx_tgGsSHE
How have I been missing these posts? Glad to se the Hudson on the road. Sorta' makes me happy it didn't get done sooner. It allows me to feel a little better about my self.

I'm so sorry to hear about Jakes health issue. He is a great kid. I hope there are some new treatments that can help him. If his route from Oregon comes near here I'd meet him somewhere.
That is a very cool car Tom, and that video is great!

Good to see such a unique truck back on the road. Looks in great shape! I'd like to see some pics of the 250, that sounds great! smile

Alan
Tom,

What's going on here? Did you bait us? You came in here and did a drop bomb with a YouTube video and left us hanging.

Need to know details, is your son going to drive it? That is such a cool vintage truck, and looks in amazing shape. Sounds great as you pull down the driveway...

Please tell more and show more of that 250, can barely see it poking through a pic up in this thread.
Posted By: CNC-Dude #5585 Re: 41 Hudson Father and Son Project - 09/11/21 03:50 PM
Sorry to hear about Jake's health issues. He's doing exactly what he needs to do and enjoy traveling and exploring the country.
© Inliners International Bulletin Board