Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
stock49 Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
Greetings . . .

I was out in the garage today test fitting the parts on the '48 donor head. The headers came in
from hot rods of Norco this week and I couldn't wait to see what its going to look like all together:

I did some measuring on the car and it doesn't look I have any clearance issues other than the firewall vertical rib and the intake (which is way deaper then stock). But I knew about this when I bought it.

best regards,
stock49

[Linked Image from 49fastback.com]
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
looks very good \:\)

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
Very impressive looking. Are those a stainless steel tube header? What other modifications to the motor?

Ontario Inliners
1965 Chevelle
1940 Chev
1965 Chev Pick-up
1970 MGB Roadster

M
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
M
Nice looking pieces. They should really stand out in a well detailed engine compartment.

Mike G #4355
stock49 Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
Thanks Larry, Mike . . .

Hey GMDad, they're not stainless - they're powder coated steel . . . one of a handfull of things I'll be cheating on in my circa '53 hop up. I chose them cause they are closest thing to Clark headers I could find.

I am going to do a frame on resto - leaving the trim on for an outwardly stock appearance. The guy I bought the car from took great care of aesthetics but rushed into a repaint. I'll leave that to a body-man to block sand and clean up before repainting back to the original blue.

As for the engine mods, I am reading Roger Huntington and Bill Fisher for advice on what to do with the block that is original to the car.

For the lower end I have an NOS Power Glide crank for increased stroke. I have a set of donor rods that have been converted to use insert bearings. With insert rods and mains and a NOS crank I can fit everything to stock tolerances with no shims and no need for line boring. The jet oiling will stay - just like most 'road jobs' in the day.

To finish the short block I'll need custom pistons. Venolia and Ross both have offerings for the 216. I need to go custom to get the right wrist pin geometry given the longer stroke. I'll likely go .040 over on the bore to leave room for one more rebuild. I am shooting for 8:1 compression unless it makes sense to go higher on such an old head.

For the cam I had the guys at Delta regrind a NOS TRW High Torque cam based on the Iskenderian D.P. #2 spec. I chose a 235 High Torque core because it has the necessary 'reliefs' in the shaft to prevent rod contact from the longer stroke. This is the 2nd of the original 'dual pattern' grinds that Isky developed for the 216. It's a very asymetrical grind that holds the exhaust valve open for scavenging. The specs at .050 on the work done by Delta are 204 duration on the intake and 232 on the exhaust. Lift on the exhaust is better than the Isky spec at .398. Lift on the intake will be way better than the Isky spec at .463 with the help of Barker High Lift rocker arms.

I am open for suggestion on the springs for the valve train. The old school calls for '31 Buick inners and stock '46 on up Chevy outters - or McGurk inners if you can find em. A modern aftermarket spring for the 235 will likely out perform the old school approach . . . like what Patrick's sells for use with the Howard Johansen spec cams they sell.

For the head I have a donor from a '48 that I have been doing a light port and polish job with hand tools. Both Roger and Bill do a good job of descibing what to do and what not to do. I'm mostly just smoothing the barnacles from the casting. And if I screw it up I have the original on the car to fall back on.

As you can see from the pics the intake will be fitted with two Strombergs. I'll likely get the carbs and linkage from Charlie Price at vintagespeed.com.

The only other significant mod is the rear end - I have harvested the guts from a '52 Power Glide for the 3.55:1 ratio. I intend to swap the carrier and spiders into my stock '49 rear end cause the plan is to stay with the original Huck brakes.

Advice on my old school plans is welcome . . .

regards,
stock49

D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
That do be pretty, and i am eager to see it all together and running. Maybe my '52 two-door (now coming to completion) and your '49 can get together at the border and make a little run out US 27 . . . just like old times.

God's Peace to you

d
Inliner #1450

R
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
R
Tell us a about that valve cover,I never seen one like that before,I like it.

stock49 Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
Hi Ratatatat . . .

I have heard speculation that CAW stands for "Colorado Aluminum Works" - still others say that it is a monogram of some guys initials - another story is that these were made for a fleet of delivery vehicles to quiet valve noise - who knows for sure. My research has turned up zero documentation on these things. I am told that a house still stands at the address:

And that the fella with initials CAW has long since passed away.

I have only ever seen one - and when I did I bought it!

The previous owner had painted it blue flame blue. But he didn't prep it well and it fish eyed due to oil deposits. So then he went for a second and then a third coat! The results were less then professional.

I had to steep it in accetone to get all that off - especially since it went into the pores of this rough casting:

Then I used gun cleaning patches and toluene to wick the oily spots. The toluene cuts the oil and floats it to the surface - and the cotton in the patch grabs it without any rubbing.

To get a uniform color I sprayed it with Eastman's TriCoat and then polished it with 000 steel wool. It still needs some more elbow grease. I will seal it with a coat of Eastmans's diamond clear satin before I install it for real.

regards,
stock49

H
Contributor
Contributor
H
Stock 49, very cool set up, will be a head turner for sure. Re. the Edmunds water heated intake, a buddy of mine had one and I took it to work and x-rayed the thing to see what the inside looked like. Well, the water pipe (don't see it on yours) was full of little holes. I'd replace the pipe if you can or may have to plug the holes. Either way check it out before you run it with water. Also, keep the pics coming great stuff.

Jim, I.I. #173
(It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!)
stock49 Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
Hey Don . . . maybe when I get things put back together I will take you up on that formation flight on US 27 . . .

Thanks HiTork . . . you're thinking of the first design Edmunds manifolds. Those had a copper tube running through the casting that didn't hold up well. I think that the dis-similar metals copper/aluminum interacted causing the pipe to decay quickly (the perforations you mention under x-ray).

The manifold that I have is the 2nd design. It has a cast-in water jacket that fully encircles the carb throats and heats the core of the manifold. There are two 3/8 NPT threaded holes that function as inlet and outlet.

I know for a fact that mine doesn't leak - because I plugged one hole - filled the water jacket completely with acetone and then plugged the other. I left it sit for a few weeks to dissolve all the shelf crud that had built inside up from years of disuse. Didn't lose a drop.

regards,
stock49

B
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
B
Heres some more edmunds stuff... on my Pontiac straight 8

C
Contributor
Contributor
C
Also did a test fit with the new Scoop.

Only thing is missing now is the Offy Valve cover.
They seem to have problems in the factory. Offy parts put me on backorder since 2 months. Summit says the same. :rolleyes:

...and NO, it`s not comming throu the Hood. I use it yust like a normal air filter.

To old to die young.
stock49 Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
Hey Bigpag . . .

Excellent paint on the head - does that match the body color? Nice polish on the manifold - I can't seem to get that same lustre. Guess I need to spend somemore time on the wheel. What kinda buffing compound did you use?

Tell us more about the engine - 248? 268? What mods. . . looking good!

Nice scoop Frank - I like the single fuel filter on the firewall. Where did you get those braided flex fittings?

Everybody keep the pics coming!

regards,
Keith

C
Contributor
Contributor
C
Keith, the Filter is a combined fuel filter/pressure regulator.

It is called "Filter King" and was developed by the chef engineer of Delorto in the 50s because they had problems with to much pressure and pulsing from the mechanical pumps in the italian sport cars.

The Weber carbs where flooding into the ventury if they got more the 3.5 psi.

They sell the metal braided hoses of the spool over here. \:D

Frank

To old to die young.
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
Can you still buy the "filter king"?

Tom
I.I. #1475
O
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
O
I also would like to know if you can still buy the "Filter King" filter/regulator?
Is it pre-set to 3 1/2 LBS.? Or is it adjustable?

C
Contributor
Contributor
C
I have seen simular filters on ebay that are made by stromberg and go for around 50 bucks. It says something about regulating the fuel at idle, but not regulatiing so much when your on the gas.

C
Contributor
Contributor
C
The Filter King is still made by MALPASSI in Italy.

Malpassi was Chef Engeneer of Del Orto
when he developed the Filter King after WWII.

The Filter King has been part of the Competition
vehicle fuel system for the last 25 Years and
is used religiously because it has the ability
to regulate and filter fuel without restriction.

It is available in two different sizes,
with a glass or aluminium bowl.

Also the mechanical fuel pumps where less
effectiv at high rpm because of pulsing.

The Filter king irons all that out
and delivers a constant pressure to the carbs.

They are verry adjustable from almost zero
to what ever yor pump delivers.

Since they are also verry common on british cars over here
(and my italian is kind a limited :rolleyes: )
I found a Brithish Layland/Mini Cooper Dealer
that sells them.

MINI COOPER Motorsport

They also are often sold by Motorboat / Marine supplyers.

I found them from 55-59 Euros when new. So anything more than that on Ebay would
be wasted.

Here is an english site: Rally Nuts

...oh, Euros exchange rate is 1 Euro = 1.19 $ \:D

Frank

To old to die young.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 198 guests, and 68 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Skulptorchaz, Ryan Clark, chevy454, TCH54, beansprout01
6,778 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available