Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
J
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
J
Long time lurker, first time poster. I got an old 292 block a month ago, and Santucci's bible a day later.

After reading posts on this forum, seems there are many options for performance 292 pistons but few for better steel rods. I may have found one.

Please consider the connecting rods from the S&S Cycles X-Wedge engine. It's a "Harley like" engine but unlike Harley's, it uses a 2 piece forged I-beam rod design. I asked about the dimensions, and they are:
Length - 7.400"
Big End Bore - 2.3249"
Rod Bearing Journal - 2.200"
Small End Bore - 0.927"
Big End Width - 1.058"
Small End Width - 1.060"
Rod Bolts - 7/16" custom
Uses Big Block Chevy rod bearings

Regarding the Big End Bore. Is it possible to hone the X-Wedge rod bearing to fit the 292 bearing inside? or are very thick big block rod bearings available to go from 2.3249 down to 2.100"?

Regarding the Big End Width. Is this similar enough to the 292?

If my math is correct, a piston with a 1.385" compression height would reach the stock block deck height. This is reasonable from what I've seen available. The longer rod would reduce maximum rod angle by about 3 degree's (about 10%). Better geometry.

I'm concerned about cam clearance with the wider rod. I don't know how wide it is. How wide can you go before you have clearance issues?

Oh yeah, they also have a 2 piece "Victory Rod" for their big bore Victory kits. It's dimensions are: (I converted from metric to english)
Length - 6.9009
Big End Bore - 2.317
Rod Bearing Journal - ???
Small End Bore - 0.942
Big End Width - 0.801
Small End Width - 0.886
Rod Bolts - M9 x 1.0 (OK, this is still metric)

This rod, while interesting, seemed less desirable, but I'll let you guys make that decision.

OK guys... I know nothing. Is this a possible rod or am I missing something obvious? Thanks!

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I think trying to find a comparable replacement rod for the 292's is as difficult as trying to find one for the 302 GMC engines, they are just a one of a kind engine. The 7.400" rod is right on for the wrist pin bore and B/E width, but the housing bore is way too large. Same for the shorter rod, the B/E housing bore is also too big and too narrow to make it work. How much are they, it might be possible to have that company change the dimensions to fit more closely to the 292's. I have seen spacer bearings for rods and mains for a 440 type Chrysler stroker engine, it might be possible to make a spacer bearing to fit inside the rods B/E, and bore and hone it to the correct 2.2247" housing bore. Thats the closest rods i've seen yet to being able to maybe work, good research, and welcome to Inliners!

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
R
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
R
Guys:

Just for grins, take a look at cunninghamrods.com on the web. They appear to build some VERY nice forged I-beam rods that range from 4.7" to 7.25" centers for just about any application (note that they specifically include six cylinders and I'm assuming they mean inlines as well as Vs). They also make note of "cam clearance" problems and offer various offset big ends as one means to deal with that. I'm guessing that they've made a set or two of Chevy inline six rods before so big and small end bore sizes should be doable along with the appropriate rod widths for proper side clearance. Apparently, if they don't "stock" the rod you need, they will custom machine a set from one of their blank forgings. Of course, like all such well crafted parts, I'm guessing their pricing is not for the faint of heart.

Russ

PS: CNC Dude ... I understand you are now in the roller cam business! Outstanding and the best of luck with that venture.

Last edited by russk; 09/18/09 08:26 PM. Reason: obvious spelling error
R
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
R
Guys:

By way of a P.S. to my previous post:

Apparently, the Cunningham folks will build a set of rods in titanium if you have the need (and a VERY big wallet). If you look at their order form, you'll see that you specify virtually every dimension on the connecting rod you need and they build it accordingly. All you need is money . . .

Last edited by russk; 09/18/09 08:48 PM. Reason: fumble fingers . . .
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
 Originally Posted By: russk
Guys:

PS: CNC Dude ... I understand you are now in the roller cam business! Outstanding and the best of luck with that venture.
Russ, I just think that with Crane and Engle and Reed cams all closing down in the past few months,it definately has created hardships for all those involved with those companies, but at the same time it has also created opportunity for others to move forward with. I selected the inlines mostly because they seem to be the most neglected in this area, and few companies care to talk to you about them. Maybe it will stir others to finally see that this is a viable and worthy market, and stimulate this market with further product development.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (Warren grimm, OldCarKook), 213 guests, and 63 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Skulptorchaz, Ryan Clark, chevy454, TCH54, beansprout01
6,778 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available