Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#54335 12/20/09 08:05 PM
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
Hi Everyone! I'm new. What are the results from the 292 dyno session? I've been dying to find out! I hear about people modifying their sixes, but never get the power numbers or how it goes down the road. Thanks!

R
Contributor
Contributor
R
321 inch GMC in a HAMB dragster

346 HP @ 5600 rpm
347 Lb/ft TQ @ 4600 rpm

Ron

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Hello 292George

Welcome to the inliners.As to maybe?? answer your question on the
dyno session It looks as if you will have to Pay the with in the
club fee's to Tlowe for that info.As Others have already done to
help Him Pay for what He wanted to test.So Pm him If he hasn't already PMed you on this matter.It seems he has made a club
with-in a club of his own.
My2cents and maybe many others.

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
George, Welcome to our board. I hope you stick around and decide to join Inliners International. You'll find some great folks here with a lot of information. The 292 dyno tests were done for several reasons, one being to get some good hard facts to include in some articles and book coming up. Tom asked for help and many here chipped in to help. Those who did got the results of the tests but not all of the information. You can understand that if Tom and Scott revealed everything there would be no reason for the writings. In time all will be shown. There will be at least one article in our club news letter/magazine "The Twelve Port News". The excitement and anticipation is more than some here can bare and they have come unwound a bit. Go the "Dyno day for a 292, Need help" thread and read it through and also the 250 dyno day posts. You'll have what has surfaced so far. If you feel you want to help and for your help get a little more info you can contact Tom. If I can help you can contact me. I think both the torque and horse power #s are around 300. Beater

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
Contributor
Contributor
 Originally Posted By: Twisted6 I.I #3220
Hello 292George

Welcome to the inliners.As to maybe?? answer your question on the
dyno session It looks as if you will have to Pay the with in the
club fee's to Tlowe for that info.As Others have already done to
help Him Pay for what He wanted to test.So Pm him If he hasn't already PMed you on this matter.It seems he has made a club
with-in a club of his own.

For the record we lasted 2 posts...

In the words of our great President Ronald Reagan....."There you go again" ..Twisted..MAN UP and delete your post. Whats this new guy going to think!!!!

Jerry Davis II#4711

ol Smokey said "one test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
George,
Glad to have you on the BRD!

The 292 dyno post is quite long. With the last (biggest cam) a clifford 270. We managed to get 280HP and around 320 tq. This cam liked RPM more than I did! We shut the dyno runs down at 5400rpm for this cam. The hp stayed above 270 for around a 500 rpm spread ( 4900-5400). This would prove to be a V8 waker upper!
This last test also included a Clifford intake w/600 carb and headers. And to top it off a Lump port head with 1.94/1.6 valves. The head was worked up by Me. Tom

Last edited by tlowe #1716; 12/22/09 12:25 AM.

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

K
Contributor
Contributor
K
...It looks as if you will have to Pay the with in the club fee's to Tlowe for that info.As Others have already done to help Him Pay for what He wanted to test.So Pm him If he hasn't already PMed you on this matter.It seems he has made a club with-in a club of his own.

I disagree Larry but also understand that we may just agree to disagree. \:\)

Tom did not force anyone to do anything. He has said several times that magazine articles are in the works and once that is done all the info will be posted here. Makes sense to me because the magazines won't publish stuff that has been posted on the net.

I'm not a lifelong inliner but I'd wager that this is the first time in history that this level of dyno testing has been done on this engine (and soon on the 250)and SHARED.

I'm sure that Tom was able to do much more testing than he would have been able to afford on his own. ON THE SAME VEIN, NONE OF US certainly would have never gotten all the information if those of us that chipped in a bit had not done so. And in the long run, everyone here (you included) will gain tremendous knowledge from this project.

Looks like a win-win from where I sit. Go Tom! My hats off to you for making this happen.

Last edited by Kerry Pinkerton; 12/23/09 12:33 PM.

Kerry Pinkerton
http://wheelingmachines.com
C
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
C
Kerry,

I agree. The dyno tests by our members, and willingness to share, is the most exciting information I've seen in 26 years as an Inliner. To bad it's been clouded by bickering by a whole bunch of members. I'm sure all have valid points but, with this great new info, it should be a starting point for collaberation and refinement, not bitching back and forth. All members have great experience and info to share to help analyze these new results without the useless BS threats and bickering I've seen in numerous threads. There are too few Inliners posting great info to lose any as a result. JMO

Dave

Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
Basically,if you don't use lump port heads then you probably wouldn't even come close to 280hp? How much do you think without lump ports?...200? at least 180? Its just a shame that the GM inline sixes came with such poor cylinder heads.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
My last 2cents
I never said his dyno testing wasn't right Or that is wasn't a good thing. But that is either here Nore there. He isn't the first to do dyno tests. Glen self, Mike kirby,Kay Sissell and many others alike have done Over Hunderds of these. Much of it may have never been Out to the general public.And maybe most
of it wasn't for street Use,Or stock parts. But it has been done.

So everyone have a Merry Xmas & a Happy New Year.see Ya soon
just not very soon. color me Poofed.
End of my2cents.

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
He isn't the first to do dyno tests. Glen self, Mike kirby,Kay Sissell and many others alike have done Over Hunderds of these. Much of it may have never been Out to the general public.And maybe most
of it wasn't for street Use,Or stock parts. But it has been done.

So if it wasn't made available it was of no use to us, and if it wasn't with the kinds of parts Tom used it wasn't done. This takes nothing away from the great work done by those guys. This is the bridge from stock to there. This is ours because Tom brought us in. This is not like anything that we have been a part of. No one was excluded.
Beater

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
George, I think that while lumps help valve size may be more important. I think you can make well over 200 hp with bigger valves and the right cam. When all of this comes out we will all have a lot to talk about and combos to experiment with.
Beater

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
George,
I did not answer your other question. The results are being used to writeup a article for a magazine and to also writeup a few articles for the 12PORT NEWS (the INLINERS magazine). After that results will be posted here.

The begining base engine, a 292 with 4 bbl and headers, stock cam and stock head made 185 hp and around 290 tq. With head improvements and a moderate cam we ended with 280hp and 320+ tq. It was a very streetable engine too. Tom

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

J
Contributor
Contributor
J
What is the stock hp of a 292? or what did GM rate them at?

Joe

Joe H #54411 12/24/09 02:09 PM
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Joe, I have found 2 different sources that listed the HP to be at 115 stated by one source and the other listed 120 as the HP, they both agreed that the torque was 215 ft.lbs., but neither listed the RPM's at which these figures were obtained. So it looks as if adding a 4 bbl. intake and carb plus headers gives a good jump in power just by itself.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
When the results are made public I believe a few eyes will be opened at the 2500-2700 rpm range (streetable rpm's) on the horsepower and how close the torque readings are at the 4000 rpm +/- 200 range. It's been worth the investment for me just to see what does and doesn't produce power and where. Again, thank you Tom and crew.

'45 Ford PU
66 Valiant wagon, leaning tower of power.
79 Chevy C10 w/250
02 PT Cruiser Convertable
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Jalopy, I totally agree. There are a lot of combos that work pretty well. But most enthusiasts want the most bang for the buck, and these tests show the optimum combos that produce that.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
The results are going to affect my next engine (292) for my '58. I used a Comp Cams 270H with an Offy Intake and an Edelbrock 600 in my '63 Nova wagon ,wanting more power and torque for the heavier '58 it helps to have a parts list in my hand of what will do what I want instead of relying on limited past inline experinces and word of mouth bench racing. Still wondering how that guy got 400 streetable HP from his 250 that he used to own???

Last edited by jalopy45 #4899; 12/24/09 03:12 PM. Reason: spellun

'45 Ford PU
66 Valiant wagon, leaning tower of power.
79 Chevy C10 w/250
02 PT Cruiser Convertable
Joe H #54416 12/24/09 06:09 PM
S
Contributor
Contributor
S
I have seen listings for my '71 292 rating it stock at 165 hp and 275 lb-ft of torque. Later smog engines were rated lower. Hp was at something like 3800 rpm and the torque at 1600 rpm.

Last edited by Sam Welch; 12/24/09 06:11 PM. Reason: add

'38 Stude/292
M
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
M
thanks Sam your post made me think about a question
does anyone remember in what year GM stop rating HP at the flywheel and staerted using the rearwheel for amesure point ?

90 % of any problem is knowing who to ask ...and who not to.

W
Contributor
Contributor
W
AMS, Google search "SAE hp ratings". Summerized below from Wikipidedia:

Prior to the 1972 model year, SAE gross hp
American automakers rated their engines in brake horsepower (bhp), frequently referred to as SAE gross horsepower, per SAE standards J245 and J1995. SAE gross hp was measured using a stock test engine, generally running with few belt-driven accessories and sometimes fitted with long tube (test headers) in lieu of the OEM exhaust manifolds.

1972 - 2004 SAE net horsepower
Automakers began to quote power in terms of SAE net horsepower in accord with SAE standard J1349. Like SAE gross and other brake horsepower protocols, SAE Net hp is measured at the engine's crankshaft, and so does not account for transmission losses. The SAE net hp testing protocol calls for standard production-type belt-driven accessories, air cleaner, emission controls, exhaust system, and other power-consuming accessories.

2005 on, SAE certified hp
In 2005, the SAE introduced a new test protocol for engine horsepower and torque. The new protocol eliminates some of the flexibility in power measurement, and requires an independent observer present when engines are measured. The test is voluntary, but engines completing it can be advertised as SAE-certified.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 291 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Skulptorchaz, Ryan Clark, chevy454, TCH54, beansprout01
6,778 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available