Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#66407 09/19/11 01:20 PM
leaded Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Doing a mildly setup( 4-5psi)w/ a Eaton blower (M90) and have som quests?? Engine is a 250cid Chevy inline, TH350 gear.
Somebody know if one/two accessories v-belts would hold up the blower? or, just spinning?
Trouble is that some changes needed to get the cooler even more forward for spacing, if a flat aka Eaton belt must be used....and innerparts of the hood then needs more rework,etc... hope not to need, but?

Last edited by leaded; 09/19/11 01:23 PM. Reason: more info..

"if your car needs more than 2 hubcaps, it ainīt COOL"
B
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
B
v belts will slip(if you can find 2 belts the same size!)use the flat belt-even the 5 groove would be better than the v's.6 are the most common and will work well.

leaded Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Thanks! Doing a draw trough setup with a M90, and hoped not to need the work for moving engine/gear backwards.....but, iīll do it!
Forum discussions about it, didnīt give any answer.

leaded Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
manifold is finished,together with the bypass valve and carb plenum..

S
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
S
Wow looks very interesting! what kind of intake is that? I'll be looking forward to some updates on this one!

leaded Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Reworked 250 cid intake... because the M90 is coming pretty far forward, the hole top of midsection is changed. Internal flaps directing the airflow,etc..

S
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
S
Thats really cool. Forgive my ignorance but will it pull through the carb or blow through? I see in your second photo you have a spot that looks like it will connect the plenum to the intake.

That type of charger comes on later model Grand Prix does it not?

P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
That looks like a vacuum bypass valve.

Ford Supercoupe?

panic #66895 10/18/11 12:32 AM
leaded Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Got it panic, Super Coupe M90.

Draw trough system, Rear rotor rollers changes to sealed, did know the original setup wasnt ment to draw gas trough, and could fail...even some hadnt got trouble. Lot of trouble getting some to use, but with help of some friends old storage,(Torrington bearing dealer)we found some suited in a drawer with seals. Plans to get grease fittings on theese, when we find a sulotion to making them airtight. Or just make shutted connections to remove for greasing.

Bypass valve come frome a old VW ment to be mechanical actuated. If i do it with that, or use vacuum, not shure yet..
Carb "plenum" have heated "pocket" underneath for exhaust heat (connected to the bended pipes)Not shure if thats needed, but maked it if. Iīve seen some others setup, who got some problem with carb icing.
Gonna be a low pressure system, approx. 4- psi, w/holley 500cfm 2bbl, water/meth injection, Saab turbo double actuated dizzy vacuum cannisters (/retard system).
The HP output want be the most interesting, the "cool" factor is moore... ;-)

P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
Very nice.

panic #66912 10/18/11 10:49 PM
D
Contributor
Contributor
D
Nice set-up!!!

I am doing a similar thing for my Nova. Eaton M90 from a grand prix. I made an intake and base plate for the blower. I had planned on using the factory 4 psi pulley but I have the 10psi pulley as well. I have found all the pulleys to swap to the serpentine belt but will need to add an idler and a tensioner pulley.

I also have a holley 500 2 bbl carb and had thoughts of running the meth injection.

Should be lots of fun!!!

leaded Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Should be, dodgycanuk!
Waiting for some parts, and still have to sort out, or make new pulley/idler system. Worst thing is the crank pulley..... got double V original, and gonna use servopump for steering, But got a pulley in right size, trouble it dont fit the crank pulley, plan to machine a original accessory V pulley, and weld the middle part into the multirib pulley to use only for the SC. Doing in a mechanical shop setup straight, it wouldnt be any trouble! My tensioner plans from a Sprinter(Mercedes/Dodge van) springloaded w/ right idler pulley, quite easy mount also to the Chevy engine.

Keep up, and make some posting on your progress!

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I have these in stock now.

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
leaded Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Did look great, Twisted!! But after picking up the tensioner..did find a crankpulley that fit spot on!
Should have checked on you before........ ;-) next time!

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Leaded,
What application crank pulley did you use?

Larry's does look nice.

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

leaded Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
From a MB small truck, needed replacement of the mountholes only... 4 on the MB, 3 on Chevy. ( 6 rib type)
But not quite sure this was for the crank, or waterpump & other accessory.(said to on a crank...) Also took the pulley from the alternator, if i needed it...(Bosch type, similar as on my car from before, and that i changed pulley on some years ago to V-belt...)

leaded Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Been some time now without new posts....But now the freezing winter is near end, and my build is slowly going forward... Carb (Holley500) all new internal parts,setup with nr.65 jets, 8.0 PV boost referenced. Gasoline pump(SBC performance,with pump arm from original 250cid) also referenced. Water/Meth injection preventing ignition knock setup is soon to be finished.
Fabricated new engine/gear mounts to space it a 1" more rearward to give space for the beltdrive against the radiator fan.
Should soon be time to start mounting the parts on the engine!

At least i hope i didnt forget something....

leaded Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Then its garagetime!!! Last checking,measure before beginning to tear down the carb/intake!

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
Lets see some pics of the blower adaptor to intake manifold.

Also, what water/meth injection kit did you get?

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
leaded Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Well, its not an adaptor there.......the top of the manifold itself are reworked. Directional blades to get even distribution, internal cooling lines for watercooling. The water/meth injecion system is DIY, by Cooling Mist pump & nozzle, adjustable hobbs switch, and a reworked old school Edelbrock boost controller.

...and the picture lies a little... hole stuff coming lower, it was just a checking for space against brake booster, laid on top of the carb....

leaded Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
At least then are the blower/intake mounted where it should be!!
Did mount the blower,etc. on intake before installed the hole unit... well it was tight.... ;-)

Then it all connections, etc....

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
 Originally Posted By: leaded
Well, its not an adaptor there.......the top of the manifold itself are reworked. Directional blades to get even distribution, internal cooling lines for watercooling.

Ok, so do you have any pis of how the blower is mounted?
I am sure people would like to see how it was done,,, no?

I for one would like to see it.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
leaded Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
A couple of pics here from the powderpainted intake, and charger bolted on square part of intake, bypass/on the round valvehole....
Support from the side of intake to the engine mount for the weightsupport.. ( internal cooling/baffles are covered up,not shown... )
Intake is bolted as original to the exhaust (splitted)with welded shut top, with airpocket and isolation gasket between.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Leaded,
Nice work!
Thanks for the pics. How do you plan to do the belt? What drive pulley setup?

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
leaded,

thanks for the pics.

Looks like quite a bit of work there in the intake, good job.
The blower pulley is a 8 rib?

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
leaded Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Thanks!! intake was a lot of work yes....a lot of checkin to find all angles, and to weld this right, as the crank angle. Sort out dividers, shaping and to weld it right where i wanted everything.
Pulley is a original 3" 8 rib yes. Rest of the pulleys (crank/etc.) are reworked ones from a Mercedes.(some from a Sprinter and from an CLK) they fits quite well, and just needed drilled new bolt holes.

Started the engine today, without engaging charger, just by bypass. Adjusted carb, and retighten all bolts.

leaded Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Started it today, and runs real great, on bypass. carb is perhaps a little rich at idle, after what my AFR meter says......but got other jets for the carb if needed. Wait to see how it will be with charger fully functional.
Link to pedal is fixed, and yet working on the bypass valve. trying to make it mechanical adjusted, and to switch open by a blowout.

leaded Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Progress is on!!
The Holley 500 has got #58 mains, and lowered the bowl fuellevel a little, and yet the AFR begins to be right on, and runs great, even at only the bypass.
Mechanical adjusted bypass is ok, with the use of the original "handgas mchanism" at the Chevy dash. Wire got connection to a spring at the bypass, and will flip open at high pressure.
Water/meth injection is soon finished. The old Edelbrock Varajection, together with a pressurecontrolled voltage regulator, starts the pump, and pressure voltage regulator adjust the pump speed by pressure in intake.
Got a electronic friend to do a search, and he came up with a knock device made by a spy hearingaid, who transfers the signals to LEDīs.
All pressure/vacuum hoses/pipes have got check valves, or one-way valves.
A little drawback that the starter chrashed under this, and some work to get a geared aftermarket V8 starter aligned. Throwed the bolts who was in package, and reused original 250 ones, and suddenly it did get easier.
Done some adjustment, check/fixed seal leaks,etc. But, is soon to complete it all with the pulleys in place...

B
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
B
Can you please fix your pics?

panic #69651 05/07/12 09:39 PM
leaded Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Sorry for the picture files missing. Here are them:

D
Contributor
Contributor
D
I know it is a little late for this... but I saw a 250 with the same M90 you have. He had it mounted on the passenger side and the carb on the back, similar to yours. The supercharger was mounted upside down so that the outlet was facing up. He had a flange on it with a 3" tube that went ovet the rocker cover and into the factory intake manifold using a flange! Thing looked AWESOME! Took about 25-30 seconds of cranking to get it to start... long way for the fuel to go! Cool-as, though!

My M90 is from a Buick Regal GS or similar!

Looks really cool Leaded!

leaded Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Iīve ssen a pic, perhaps the one too.
http://www.killbillet.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=66323&d=1301051042
Nice, but as you said...looong way ,lots of cranking!!

D
Contributor
Contributor
D
Do you know what is really funny... That is the engine that I saw... I took that same picture! It was at the Unfinished Nationals in Paris, Ontario, CANADA. Last year or the year before maybe!

leaded Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Well.. i think iīve found most of every pics/article/tech about Chevy sixes and Eatons that are on the netī...everything stored in my computer for references!!! Always better to have too much, than to little..... ;-)

( and as i remember, its just two pics on Eatons upsides,with pipe to the intake!)

D
Contributor
Contributor
D
Couldn't agree more with that one!!! That is why I am asking my questions well in advance of when I am building! I am reading a stinkin' huge manual as well!

As the famous Johnny 5 said " Need input!"

leaded Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Iīm in end of the install (i believe..) Crank pulley is on , checked lining, etc. Beginned planning of making fastener/bracket for belt idle/tensioner(s).
And dodgycanuck, it seems as always,no guide is to be found, so skills with steel, weld & grinder is the only way to go. plan out, try find parts to be used, who could fit, and work from there!

leaded Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
1.st run charged today!!Engine runs even, and yet no meth/water is needed for ignition knock! Runs just 3psi for the moment to sort things out.... having trouble leaning out the carb enough at idle/cruise, but great on speed! Mercedes crank, idle/tension pulleys did the work for the belt, with custom brackets. The bypass valve ,manually actuated function ok. Needs a little more adjustment on the setup. How much more HP? But Torque is for sure higher!And in acceleration on passing cars at 55mph, it just got a lot of extra.

Attached Images
blown2201.JPG
Last edited by leaded; 06/08/12 08:36 PM.

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
Great! 3 psi is not much & I would not think it will knock until you advance the timing or use more boost pressure.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
leaded Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
I did a mistake calculating out the crank pulley size....another is in progress now..,the reason for the really low psi. Iīm using a GM Hei ignition, and with the full recommended setup it delivers some minor knock..Heiīs are known for the higher than normal BTDC/adjustment, but fixed by a adjustment, and connection of retard.
Sparkplugs are dark brown, but even! My flow direction "flaps" seems to be functional on the distribution!
Main "trouble" is the rich mixture at idle with the 500 holley, who i dont seem to get fixed. Its straight ok at cruise, and superb at full power.Lowered the float as much i can without making stumble,seems to changin of the idle restriction channels is needed...somebody done it? Suppose it is to plug them and drill with smaller taper than original.

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
Just curious if you are using a wide band O2 reader?

You might want to look into a B.T.M. http://www.amazon.com/MSD-Ignition-8762-...t+timing+master

What is nice is that you can plug in a timing control knob also w/an MSD box & if it starts knocking, you can turn the timing down inside the cab.
No need to loosen up the dizzy & re-adjust.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 243 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Skulptorchaz, Ryan Clark, chevy454, TCH54, beansprout01
6,778 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available