Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#67049 10/28/11 01:42 PM
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Has anyone ever put a Hydraulic roller cam in a 292? I haven't found any cam companies that show a hydraulic roller core for this engine. I would like to try this in a street motor with lots of lift and short duration.

any thoughts or previous experience?

Gearhead's Quickchange Exchange
"My Rear End is Louder Than Yours"
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Any cam company that has or offers a solid roller for these engines can supply a hydraulic roller, there made from the same billet. Its been done quite a few times with guys with 250's. Its the rest of the components that are a little tricky to source. Its also been discussed here in the past, just use the search button to find more info on the subject.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
If you can get your hands on a set-up for the 250 you can use it in the 292.Just the fuel pump lobe will not work.You would need to run a Elec. pump.

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Thanx guys. I forgot to set the search parameters to inlude the old posts. Still seems that there is a lack of personal experience in actually doing this. If I do it I'll post all the part numbers and required machining etc.

The 250 cam option would make the decision to relocate the motor mount easy.

Gearhead's Quickchange Exchange
"My Rear End is Louder Than Yours"
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
The cam and lifters are the easy parts to figure out, but a lot of the other items required have to be fabricated or modified from other engines. Since the inline 6 never came from the factory with this setup, or been produced commercially in the aftermarket, there is no standard to follow and you can only adapt components from similar engines to get you there, but it has been done successfully and works well.

Major Contributor
Major Contributor
Chev SBC roller lifters with Olds 455 tie bars work on the 153's so they should work on the 194-292's

'45 Ford PU
66 Valiant wagon, leaning tower of power.
79 Chevy C10 w/250
02 PT Cruiser Convertable
P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
Is the oil delivery waist in the same place for Olds as SBC?
If yes, the entire Olds roller assembly may work if it's for the .842" small tappet engines (not the Toronado 425, etc. with the .921" tappets and 39° bank angle).

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Panic, the lifters aren't the problem, its the rest of the setup that has to be sourced from other places or made from scratch to complete the puzzle that is the challenge.

B
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
B
I do not know if Crower still has the blanks, but they made hydraulic and solid roller cams for 292s in the past. It might worth a call.

Inliner #1916
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Yes,Crower has them and Isky has the ability to make them also. Crane can as well.

A
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
A
I have never got any cam maker to give me the time of day when asking about Hydraullic roller lifters for a chevy 6 cylinder-- trying to get them to put other (olds) tie bars on sbc lifters.
if any one knows who will----or a contact - past a "gate keeper" please post. The owner of comp cams is just Too Damn Important--he's got to hang out at the golf corse--NOT THE PLANT!

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Hydraulic roller lifters made by these cam companies aren't designed to be used with link bars like a solid roller lifter...thats the problem.

S
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
S
Mike Kirby at Sissell's Automotive got a solid roller cam for my engine from Crower. I don't know if they have a hydraulic set up.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Kirby had a few sets of prototype hydraulic roller lifters made a few years ago. But at this time, no cam company makes a hydraulic roller lifter for these engines as a production item, and has no interest to. While these engines might seem to be the greatest thing to us, it really isn't to them, and they have no desire to persue this type of product. So that only leaves it to ourselves to do it. I also saw on another forum that Cloyes as of now is discontinuing its double roller timing sets for the Slant 6 Chrysler, which is every bit as large in the inline community as the modern Chevy 250's and 292's. The Slant 6 forum arranged a group buy of timing sets and bought almost 100 sets at one time. This still wasn't enough to interest Cloyes to continue making them. Other companies unfortunately think the same way and will likely drop their inline oriented products as well before long if we don't try to make a difference.

A
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
A
 Originally Posted By: CNC-Dude #5585
Hydraulic roller lifters made by these cam companies aren't designed to be used with link bars like a solid roller lifter...thats the problem.

That does Not Jive --The sbc chevy hydro roller has tie bars-just like the solids, and if SBC parts fit--then its doable--its just the oil line up hole of the olds lifters are in the wrong place , I havent heard anyone say the sbc oil lineup holes are not ok, The only real problem would then be getting a shop that would reinstall the rivets that hold the tie bars since we cannot get a manufacturer to put the olds tie bars on the chevy lifters.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Thats good that Comp is finally making them, they weren't offered with the link bars when I started this roller billet project several years ago, only with the OEM style dog bone connectors. There are some Chinese lifters out there that I knew about that had that design, but was leary of the quality.

A
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
A
Thats good that Comp is finally making them, they weren't offered with the link bars when I started this roller billet project several years ago, only with the OEM style dog bone connectors. There are some Chinese lifters out there that I knew about that had that design, but was leary of the quality.
Hey cnc --not sure you understood, crane sells links by themselves,, you still got to find some company that will put the links on SBC .050 taller hydro roller lifters, and always run into a brick wall of - NO REPLY..........

A
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
A
Kirby had a few sets of prototype hydraulic roller lifters made a few years ago. But at this time, no cam company makes a hydraulic roller lifter for these engines as a production item, and has no interest to. While these engines might seem to be the greatest thing to us, it really isn't to them, and they have no desire to persue this type of product. So that only leaves it to ourselves to do it. I also saw on another forum that Cloyes as of now is discontinuing its double roller timing sets for the Slant 6 Chrysler, which is every bit as large in the inline community as the modern Chevy 250's and 292's. The Slant 6 forum arranged a group buy of timing sets and bought almost 100 sets at one time. This still wasn't enough to interest Cloyes to continue making them. Other companies unfortunately think the same way and will likely drop their inline oriented products as well before long if we don't try to make a difference.
yes understood the problem of no cam to go with these lifters, But Im building a 181 mercruiser and there are hydraulic roller cams on the shelf for the iron duke ( which uses a D shaped Roller lifter that self indexes in a D shaped bore --and one version of the duke has a cam thats interchangable with the 153/181 chevy 4 cylinder

Last edited by Alan Mays; 03/07/12 09:19 PM.
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Not all of the roller lifters have the link bars bradded or riveted together. Some brands are threaded on with their pivot tab. The FTF has actually changed link bars on one of his Ford inlines that were assembled with this method. You might get lucky and find a company that still uses this method of assembly.

A
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
A
Not all of the roller lifters have the link bars bradded or riveted together. Some brands are threaded on with their pivot tab. The FTF has actually changed link bars on one of his Ford inlines that were assembled with this method. You might get lucky and find a company that still uses this method of assembly.

mmmmmK, who can we get to do the chevy hydro rollers with olds tye bars???????????????

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 173 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available