Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
TonyPa Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
T
I have a 1978 Nova, with a stock 250, with only 53,000 miles on it. Runs great, No smoke....etc. Just a whining behind the timing cover when I rev it up. Gears must be worn at 53K I guess?
But...it has the dreaded integral head!
Which limits my fun.
I did have an offer on some 194 heads. He is getting me the casting numbers tomorrow.
I was told it is a good thing to do, and also put some headers, and intake, and a 390 Holley, and I will notice a difference. I don't know if Cliffords headers and intakes will bolt to the 194?
I only have 105HP right now. I was also told thats due to the integral head. With just switching heads, I would be at 155 HP, that quick. Is that what happened when it dropped to 105HP, was the integral head?
My goal honeslty is about 175-200HP, thats all. Nothing drastic. Any input will be appreciated. I would like the old six hot rod look, and the ease of working on it.
Or, should I find a older 250 head? Thanks guys!

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
You may run into a issue if you have PS, But everything else should bolt right up with out any issues. As to your HP goal That is a Vary Fair goal.

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
T
TonyPa Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
T
Originally Posted By: Twisted6 I.I #3220
You may run into a issue if you have PS, But everything else should bolt right up with out any issues. As to your HP goal That is a Vary Fair goal.

I do have pwr steering. I was hoping to keep that. Maybe a 250 head may be a better idea? Their getting a bit harder to find where I live. The non integral ones that is.

T
TonyPa Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
T
Originally Posted By: TonyPa

I do have pwr steering. I was hoping to keep that. Maybe a 250 head may be a better idea? Their getting a bit harder to find where I live. The non integral ones that is. I lost you the other night. Bad signal!

G
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
G
Go on ebay and get one of the freshly redone ones with lump ports.

Might as well spend your money wisely.

I
Contributor
Contributor
I
I have a stock (for now) 78 nova with a 250 also. If you do the head swap would you be kind enough t measure the deck height and piston dish with the head off? I also might be interested in the old head and exhaust manifold. The exhaust pipe that runs between the engine and converter is no longer made. That pipe could be sold to help pay for the head swap also. Jay 6155

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club

I do have pwr steering. I was hoping to keep that. Maybe a 250 head may be a better idea? Their getting a bit harder to find where I live. The non integral ones that is. I lost you the other night. Bad signal!

Yeah it was a bad area and I did not get a chance to call you back Sorry.

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
T
TonyPa Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
T
Originally Posted By: gbauer
Go on ebay and get one of the freshly redone ones with lump ports.

Might as well spend your money wisely.

I didn't check ebay yet. I was going to look for a rebuilt 250 head. I didn't know if they would be through the roof on the price.

T
TonyPa Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
T
Originally Posted By: intergrated j 78
I have a stock (for now) 78 nova with a 250 also. If you do the head swap would you be kind enough t measure the deck height and piston dish with the head off? I also might be interested in the old head and exhaust manifold. The exhaust pipe that runs between the engine and converter is no longer made. That pipe could be sold to help pay for the head swap also. Jay 6155

once I get mine apart I will do some measuring. I will be tearing my front end down this weekend, then pulling the engine out.
I didn't know that pipe wasn't available. I think my front pipe is good, although if I do this 6 banger up, I won't be using that pipe of course.

T
TonyPa Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
T

Yeah it was a bad area and I did not get a chance to call you back Sorry.

no problem at all. I could tell the signal was bad. We'll chat this weekend if your around. Have a good day!

G
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
G
http://www.ebay.com/itm/72-5cc-Stage-1-M...95a&vxp=mtr

That one is $595 but I've seen them for slightly less. Not much less though.

T
TonyPa Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
T
I just picked up a whole 250 engine, NON integral head, out of a truck. Late 70's. It runs, but needs rings, blowing some smoke. 50 bucks!!
I have to go get it this weekend. Let the fun begin!
My current motor only has 50,000 on it, and runs great. So I only need the head off of it. I am pulling my engine out anyhow, to freshen everything up.
I am hoping when I do this, like intake, carb...Maybe holley 390? I hope my linkage hooks up? Or if i can buy linkage that works. Many questions will asked now...

Last edited by TonyPa; 11/17/14 02:42 AM.
G
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
G
I went with Langdon headers, offy intake and Holley 0-8007 (390 CFM) and it really woke the old girl up.

Couple of things: First off buy the heat plate from Langdon. It cost me more to make my own than his price. Secondly when you get the offy get the linkage kit. You'll want to use the stuff that goes from the carb to the stock linkage. From there I used the stock stuff, extended the arm with a massaged piece from the offy linkage, and went from there. You'll end up trimming the stock throttle cable a bit along with it's casing because the new location for the bracket is closer to the firewall. Finally: make sure there are no binds. My stock linkage had an arm that hung down too far and bound up on the heater hoses on me. Happened Friday at WOT. Darn near wrecked my car! Had to trim that bit off and file it down so there's no sharp edges. I now have 1" of clearance all around so no more problems.

Stock settings on the Holley are good. No need to change power cam or jets.

I'm spinning my 255's now with this set up.

T
TonyPa Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
T
Thanks for the tips!! Awesome! I will look for this Langdon site. I only seen headers on Cliffords so far. At least that make a linkage kit. I didn't know they did.
WOW...I would have crapped with the linkage hanging up at WOT. Luckily nothing bad happened!

T
TonyPa Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
T
What was the difference? My nova is a 1978. I seen this on a chart:

LD4 Chevrolet 6 cylinder
The LD4 was a 250-cubic-inch (4.1 L) I6 engine produced strictly in 1978.

What was so different in 78? I know they did the Integral head from 75 and up. Why does this chart say that? Was there something different in 1978 on the 250?

G
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
G
Thanks for the tips!! Awesome! I will look for this Langdon site. I only seen headers on Cliffords so far. At least that make a linkage kit. I didn't know they did.
WOW...I would have crapped with the linkage hanging up at WOT. Luckily nothing bad happened!

Pants were browned...

It's a "linkage kit", not a linkage kit, if you know what I mean. The kit is so generic that you have to really modify it to work. I ended up re-using my old stuff and adding it to the new to make it all come together properly.

T
TonyPa Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
T
oh great, this sounds like its going to be an interesting adventure. I know making my exhaust for the headers will not be fun.
And then the linkage. Ugh!! I guess all in time!

T
TonyPa Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
T
Is this the heat plate you spoke of earlier?

http://www.langdonsstovebolt.com/store/#!/Heat-Plate-for-194-230-250-292-Inlet-Manifold/p/1222036/category=361513

This will bolt under the offy intake?
I am sorry, I am new to this style of motor.
And I suppose you run coolant lines from somewhere, to warm the carb with this plate?

G
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
G
That's the one.

It bolts under the heated Offy intake. One other thing about the offy: it has two steel plugs on the bottom of it. They put them in as part of the manufacturing process. The whole run is heated unlike stock. That's good and it works well with the stock exhaust manifold and all but it doesn't hold water.

Some guys say to weld them or braze them. I chose to use epoxy. Mine I think is far easier and so far has held up (but I haven't put many miles on it yet).

I put the Offy in with the 4 bbl in less than a day and that was with a lot of project creep. Painted the intake and rebuilt the carb in the mix as well.

One final thing: The flanges on the Langdon and Offy are different thicknesses. The way to get things to seal up is to grind down part of the bridge so it's taller on one side. In my case it was 1/8". I also had to get new bolts for the two outer bridges because the stock ones are about an inch too long. Different places where they grab on between the stock and new. Not a big deal just make sure you get high quality (not Lowes or Autozone) bolts. You want grade 8.

Active BB Member
Active BB Member

LD4 Chevrolet 6 cylinder

What was so different in 78? I know they did the Integral head from 75 and up. Why does this chart say that? Was there something different in 1978 on the 250?

CAFE started mileage requirements for cars in '78. Integral head on truck 250's started in '79, along with CAFE requirements on trucks. The 1978 250 must have had something to do with the first year of CAFE fuel mileage standards, then changed something else on it for '79. Just a guess.

Last edited by 47Thriftmaster250; 11/25/14 06:00 PM.

Projects:
1947 Chevy 3100 Thriftmaster - 255 L6/5spd
1970 Chevy Camaro - 406/T56 Mag - Pro-touring
G
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
G
oh great, this sounds like its going to be an interesting adventure. I know making my exhaust for the headers will not be fun.

Don't bother doing it yourself. A shop will do it in about 3 hours for $400 in Maryland. Up your way probably $300. You'll spend close to that in matrials by the time you get done shipping it.

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
The linkage part was one of the easiest things to do.

My 69 Camaro had a cable throttle cable (stock original) All you need to do is buy a universal cable from Lokar or other companies that make cable assembly's

They are Teflon lined, extra long, (so you cut to the proper length you need) install a metal stand off bracket, & route the cable any way you like.

All the bell cranks, pulleys, etc, usually is not needed.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
T
TonyPa Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
T
That's the one.

It bolts under the heated Offy intake. One other thing about the offy: it has two steel plugs on the bottom of it. They put them in as part of the manufacturing process. The whole run is heated unlike stock. That's good and it works well with the stock exhaust manifold and all but it doesn't hold water.

Some guys say to weld them or braze them. I chose to use epoxy. Mine I think is far easier and so far has held up (but I haven't put many miles on it yet).

I put the Offy in with the 4 bbl in less than a day and that was with a lot of project creep. Painted the intake and rebuilt the carb in the mix as well.

One final thing: The flanges on the Langdon and Offy are different thicknesses. The way to get things to seal up is to grind down part of the bridge so it's taller on one side. In my case it was 1/8". I also had to get new bolts for the two outer bridges because the stock ones are about an inch too long. Different places where they grab on between the stock and new. Not a big deal just make sure you get high quality (not Lowes or Autozone) bolts. You want grade 8.

Thanks for all the advice! I truly appreciate it. I have been looking at a lot of intakes, including Clifford. I didn't realize how many things they still make for these engines!

T
TonyPa Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
T
Originally Posted By: 47Thriftmaster250

LD4 Chevrolet 6 cylinder

CAFE started mileage requirements for cars in '78. Integral head on truck 250's started in '79, along with CAFE requirements on trucks. The 1978 250 must have had something to do with the first year of CAFE fuel mileage standards, then changed something else on it for '79. Just a guess.

I was wondering, when it said, 78 was one year only. I know I have an integral that they started in 75, but I would think my lower end is all the same. I hope!

G
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
G

Thanks for all the advice! I truly appreciate it. I have been looking at a lot of intakes, including Clifford. I didn't realize how many things they still make for these engines!

After doing the research I went with offy because my car isn't going to see a drag strip any time soon. The offy has better low end from what I've read. Clifford has too much volume for street driving.

Just my opinion. I've never tried a Clifford intake to really compare.

T
TonyPa Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
T

Don't bother doing it yourself. A shop will do it in about 3 hours for $400 in Maryland. Up your way probably $300. You'll spend close to that in matrials by the time you get done shipping it.

I don't know if anyone will do my exhaust here in Pa. due to emissions crap, and my cat converter, than I am removing. However, I am going to get a antique plate, which I won't be required to have an inspection. So its hard to tell.

T
TonyPa Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
T
Originally Posted By: Mean buzzen half dozen A.K.A. Hank

My 69 Camaro had a cable throttle cable (stock original) All you need to do is buy a universal cable from Lokar or other companies that make cable assembly's

They are Teflon lined, extra long, (so you cut to the proper length you need) install a metal stand off bracket, & route the cable any way you like.

MBHD

Cool, the linkage doesn't seem bad then!!!
What do you mean by...All the bell cranks, pulleys, etc, usually is not needed?

T
TonyPa Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
T

After doing the research I went with offy because my car isn't going to see a drag strip any time soon. The offy has better low end from what I've read. Clifford has too much volume for street driving.

Just my opinion. I've never tried a Clifford intake to really compare.

See, thats what I want, low end for street driving! I am not racing. Is this the one Summit has? The offy?

G
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
G
Yep. OFY-5416 $279.97

You don't want to get the -LK version as it's lacking the linkage kit. Worth the extra $11 to me.

Langdon's headers: http://www.langdonsstovebolt.com/store/online-catalog/#!/Stovebolt-Cast-Exhaust-Headers-for-194-230-250-292-engines/p/1395980/category=412417

$277+ shipping.

I went with that over Clifford due to price. Nothing more to it than that.

Get some epoxy to seal the plugs in the runners. You'll see them on the bottom side. Easiest way to seal them.

Heat plate:

http://www.langdonsstovebolt.com/store/online-catalog/#!/Heat-Plate-for-194-230-250-292-Inlet-Manifold/p/1222036/category=361513

$32. Buy it. I have more into mine after trying to make my own than that. Plus it was a real PITA to make and have seal.

One trick I learned was I went to Lowes and got a piece of 1/8" thick rubber in the plumbing department. It's orange in color. http://www.lowes.com/pd_31446-143-PP25546_0__?productId=1082955&Ntt=rubber+gasket+material&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Drubber%2Bgasket%2Bmaterial&facetInfo=

I cut it up to make a gasket for the heat plate. Only way I could get it to seal. Used that and a thin coat of RTV and it holds great. No leaks.

Muffler: I have a flowmaster Series 10. Don't get it. Too loud. I'll let others chime in on that.

Exhaust: I just went with steel because I doubt I'll be keeping it all like this long term. I'll probably go forced induction at some point in the next few years. Regardless that was $400 at Midas.

Muffler was like $70-ish.

That's $1,085 if you're keeping track.

For the carb I shopped and shopped and finally found a used Holley 0-8007 for $180 shipped. Had to rebuild it for $35.

For the heater hose I T-ed off at the firewall. Figure about $25 in all the bits there.

Finally you'll need a new fuel line from the pump to the carb and inline fuel filter. $40.

Grand total: $1365.

The nice thing is you don't have to do it all at once. I did the exhaust end first then intake a few months later.

T
TonyPa Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
T
Yep. OFY-5416 $279.97

You don't want to get the -LK version as it's lacking the linkage kit. Worth the extra $11 to me.

Langdon's headers: http://www.langdonsstovebolt.com/store/online-catalog/#!/Stovebolt-Cast-Exhaust-Headers-for-194-230-250-292-engines/p/1395980/category=412417

$277+ shipping.

I went with that over Clifford due to price. Nothing more to it than that.

Get some epoxy to seal the plugs in the runners. You'll see them on the bottom side. Easiest way to seal them.

Heat plate:

http://www.langdonsstovebolt.com/store/online-catalog/#!/Heat-Plate-for-194-230-250-292-Inlet-Manifold/p/1222036/category=361513

$32. Buy it. I have more into mine after trying to make my own than that. Plus it was a real PITA to make and have seal.

One trick I learned was I went to Lowes and got a piece of 1/8" thick rubber in the plumbing department. It's orange in color. http://www.lowes.com/pd_31446-143-PP25546_0__?productId=1082955&Ntt=rubber+gasket+material&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Drubber%2Bgasket%2Bmaterial&facetInfo=

I cut it up to make a gasket for the heat plate. Only way I could get it to seal. Used that and a thin coat of RTV and it holds great. No leaks.

Muffler: I have a flowmaster Series 10. Don't get it. Too loud. I'll let others chime in on that.

Exhaust: I just went with steel because I doubt I'll be keeping it all like this long term. I'll probably go forced induction at some point in the next few years. Regardless that was $400 at Midas.

Muffler was like $70-ish.

That's $1,085 if you're keeping track.

For the carb I shopped and shopped and finally found a used Holley 0-8007 for $180 shipped. Had to rebuild it for $35.

For the heater hose I T-ed off at the firewall. Figure about $25 in all the bits there.

Finally you'll need a new fuel line from the pump to the carb and inline fuel filter. $40.

Grand total: $1365.

The nice thing is you don't have to do it all at once. I did the exhaust end first then intake a few months later.

Thanks very much! That was awesome! Thanks for all the homework you just did for me. It is appreciated!
I am just getting into tearing my front end off completely, and then pulling the motor. I will be replacing whiney timing gears, and of course, cleaning my pick up tube/screen, might as well put a new oil pump in. Etc...
I can start buying parts in the process, then ya know....start putting it all together. I am hoping when spring comes, to have great photos to post, with a smile on my face.
I am sure along the adventure, I will be on here, saying...
"I am doing something wrong", help!!...hahahahaha

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M

MBHD

Meaning, you do not need the linkage kit from Offy,(offy linkage kit comes w/a bell crank, not really needed) you just need a good cable & make a stand off plate for the cable.

12 port SDS EFI
T
TonyPa Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
T

MBHD

Meaning, you do not need the linkage kit from Offy,(offy linkage kit comes w/a bell crank, not really needed) you just need a good cable & make a stand off plate for the cable.

Oh okay! Sorry, I misunderstood!

G
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
G
Hank: how'd you make the 90 degree bend without the bracket in the offy linkage? If it weren't for that I would agree with you.

The offy intake positions the carb 90 degrees from its normal orientation. They do this so both the primary bores on the Holley are facing equal distant towards the engine. If you turn it you'll send more air/fuel to either the front or rear cylinders.

You can see the linkage for the carb toward the front of the engine bay. I reused the stock linkage that was on the original intake for the kick-down. I don't have a close up of the modifications I made but I can get a pick in a few days when I get it all back together.

If there's a better way to do it I'm all for making it work better. I just didn't see it.

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
A long enough aftermarket cable will bend to where ever your linkage is positioned. No need for a bell crank or pulley or anything else. Just a stand off bracket, simple to make.

You do not need to always hook up the throttle to the top of the linkage arm, it can hook up to the bottom of the carb linkage arm also.

As far as mounting the carb that way, all you need to do is offset the mounting holes a bit & you can mount that carb any position you would want.

Or, buy a plate of 3/8 to 1/2" aluminum, hole saw, jig saw, band saw, drill & tap & make your own carb adaptor.

Your throttle linkage posted is way too complicated IMO, more things to cause friction, cause the throttle to stick etc.

Is the 90 degree bend a piece of aluminum?
If it is & has no Teflon inner liner, it will eventually wear through & cause the cable to stick & it could happen at wide open throttle.

There was no difference in power when I tested the carbs mounted sideway or straight forward.
I did have more problems when the carb was mounted sideways with fuel delivery under certain conditions.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Okay time for me to chime in with my 2cent. First off I have ran the carbs in Both directions ( street as well as Track) With vary little to No difference In over all performance. Esp. on the street. Now just a touch more food for thought. The carb does
not send the fuel anywhere other then into the intake. Each cyl.
Then Pulls the fuel to it's self. So with that being said The cyl. have no clue as to which way the carb is mount Left, Right, right side-up Or up-side down. Even when I had my dual 4b intake
I tired the carbs both ways and seen Vary little difference in the plugs. But to Keep the linkage simple I kept them Inline.

About the only way I see that you may see a difference in to which way the carb sit's is if you're going to put a divider in the intake.

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
G
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
G
Do you guys have manuals or autos? If auto how do you deal with the kick-down linkage with your set up?

T
TonyPa Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
T
Do you guys have manuals or autos? If auto how do you deal with the kick-down linkage with your set up?

Oh great, mine is a TH350 auto. I hope the kickdown is not going to be a pain. Or I guess I can manual shift it down.

G
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
G
My set up connects the kick down.

I'll get pics Friday hopefully.

T
TonyPa Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
T
My set up connects the kick down.

I'll get pics Friday hopefully.

Pics are nice. I have saved a ton of 250 pics. Just to get the idea of what I am doing with the carb. I am not new to cars, but I am new to the inlines, and altering stuff...

G
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
G

Found another pic that shows it a bit better. Couple things: I trimmed a bit off the ear of the carb adapter to clear the cable. I also trimmed some off the lower arm of the stock linkage. That's the part that hung up on me at WOT. It hit the heater hose after the hose shifted. I cut it away and ground it smooth. I now have over an inch of clearance there.

You can see my home made heat plate and fittings. I'm using large hoses to the heater core just to avoid reducing them. This is before I connected it and adjusted the fittings.

Last edited by gbauer; 11/26/14 11:16 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 151 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available