Print Thread
Rate Thread
E
efi-diy Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
E
With all the LS engines showing up in the wreckers - its becoming economically feasible to implement a coil near plug ignition system that will eliminate virtually all the spark scatter and give a lot better spark (better coil saturation == hotter spark).
Apart from the ignition coils the extras needed would be a toothed wheel mounted to the balancer with a pickup/mounting bracket.
A small control box to run the coils with a fully adjustable timing curve. << be about 3/4 the size of the external volt regulator.

A vacuum line to the intake manifold would provide the engine load input.

The system would be boost friendly (provide boost retard) and have a NO2 input to cut the timing back when the buttons pushed..

Other possible options is launch control -> if you get wheel spin - it could pull timing out to control power until the tires hooked up.

The distributor could either stay in place or be replaced with a stub shaft/housing to run the oil pump.

If your running a cross flow head this will FIX all the problems with overheating the ignition system.

So how many would be interested?

Last edited by efi-diy; 03/02/15 04:30 PM.

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them
S
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
S
I have thought about this and would be interested.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Count me in. I have customers that would want one.

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Originally Posted By: efi-diy
The distributor could either stay in place or be replaced with a stub shaft/housing to run the oil pump.

Why not use the distributor to trigger spark timing? Vac and Mechanical advances would be unchanged.

Or are you thinking full blown Engine Management Computer applications only?

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I do beleave that is How Leo had his 292 set-up with Coil on fire. Running off a crank trigger.

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
C
Contributor
Contributor
C
Doesn't an Electromotive ignition system already do what you're proposing? http://www.electromotive-inc.com/product/

Or are you proposing building a system all out of junkyard parts?

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I think he is trying to offer a competitive cost system that is partially made to direct fit these engines.

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

E
efi-diy Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
E
If you did this there is no way to decide which 1 of the 6 coils to fire. Any still have some spark scatter (timing variation) when the oil pump rotates the torque required changes and this puts more or less load on the dist. dive.

Originally Posted By: stock49
Originally Posted By: efi-diy

Why not use the distributor to trigger spark timing? Vac and Mechanical advances would be unchanged.

Or are you thinking full blown Engine Management Computer applications only?

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them
E
efi-diy Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
E
Mostly out of junkyard parts. The ignition coils and plug wire >> JY. If your good at fab the trigger wheel/bracket and pickup coil can be had out of a Ford ranger 4.2 V6.

The control box & wiring harness would be aftermarket. Depending on the demand the crank trigger wheel/pickup bracket could be supplied as well.

The control box would come ready to run with a performance advance curve in it.

A jumper would be used to disable the advance curve and fire the engine at say 10* BTDC to allow the initial timing to be set ( just like turning the dist. to set initial timing).

An alternative is to use the Ford EDIS-6 with an aftermaket control box. The up side is the EDIS system is robust and can be had at any autoparts store. Still need the control box to set the timing - but the EDIS will fire and run the engine at a fix 10* BTDC without the control box attached.

Down side is more parts to wire and mount + longer plug wires running around This is a wasted spark system. Depending on the EDIS module they have a unchangeable 7000 rpm rev limiter - fine for the street.

Either system will work with a Carb.

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
M
Contributor
Contributor
M
I had considered doing this with Megasquirt since I'm switching to fuel injection, building the distributor to be "dual sync". I'll be keeping an eye out for what you use.

W
Contributor
Contributor
W
I worked on a 1986 Mercruiser 3.0 that had a wasted spark setup.

Basically it had a dizzy with a pickup and flat lid.

I believe they called it "Digital ignition."

Similar to what these guys are selling

http://www.compu-tronix.com/DIS6911.htm

Last edited by Whitedog; 03/09/15 01:32 AM.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (41 Coupe), 218 guests, and 42 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available