Rate Thread
L
Lugnutz Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
L
Inliners,
I can't take any credit for this idea. I do think it needs to be talked about as an option that is better than the adapter plate.

I recently proved to myself that you can put a Jeep T5 input shaft on an S10 T5 transmission and make it better plus save money by continuing to use your 10 spline clutch kit for an older Chevy car or truck.

The Jeep input shaft is from a T5, has 10 splines and 21 gear teeth. The splines are cut along the length of the shaft more than the S10 shaft. That way I won't need any adapter plate. The Jeep shaft is thicker (stronger).

I plan to post a DIY thread later.

The Jeep shaft still needs 1/2" cut from the tip so it will fit a V8 bell housing, but that is no problem.

Below is a photo after installing the Jeep shaft. I have installed a shorter (Camaro) bearing sleeve but you can just cut the S10 shorter. That is my 10 spline clutch disc (on backwards, LOL!!!) I need to cut the tip off at the tape and chamfer the edge. The splines are long enough that I do not need an adapter plate.

Last edited by Lugnutz; 07/28/14 10:11 PM.
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Good information. Please post a full "how To" when you can.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
D
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
D
His truck web site has more T5 pictures and nice explanations to go along with them.

Drew
Mid-Atlantic Chapter
M
Contributor
Contributor
M
Great post!

Active BB Member
Active BB Member
Nice! Now that adds another option.

Projects:
1947 Chevy 3100 Thriftmaster - 255 L6/5spd
1970 Chevy Camaro - 406/T56 Mag - Pro-touring
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
getting ready to do this conversion with 235, great info! who did you buy input shaft from?

L
Lugnutz Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
L
You can find them on eBay.
Get a 10 spline shaft for a Jeep T5. It should have 21 gear teeth.

I bought mine from THIS TRANSMISSISON SHOP.

You will want a new input shaft bearing too. Autozone sells the correct Timken bearing for about $5.

L
Lugnutz Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
L
Fellow Inliners,
I just completed a 47 photo documented slide show showing all the major steps involved for the Jeep shaft swap in an S10 T5 transmission.

The T5 I used was a World Class from a 1993 S10 but the same basic procedure is used for the non-world class T5. Just make sure you match a WC Jeep shaft with a WC S10 and a NWC Jeep shaft with a NWC S10.

The Jeep shaft swap allows the S10 T5 to bolt up to a V8 bell without the use of an adapter plate. It also allows you to keep the factory 10 spline clutch kit. I think it's about as close to real magic as you can get. No fabrication. Just swapping parts.

I welcome your feedback. Not looking for compliments here. I just like to do this kind of stuff.

Click HERE to go directly to the Jeep shaft swap page on my website.

Thanks
Jay

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Great information! This should be in out Tech Tips section. If I ever use another T5 this is how I will do it. Thanks for sharing this.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
M
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
M
Hey guys,since seeing this info now Im interested. I have a 67 shortbed/ 292. Im thinking the bellhousing on my setup doesnt require an adapter for the T5. What info is needed to buy the Jeep shaft? I have a T5 from an 86 s10 nwc to work with. Im not wanting to make a hotrod just a good driver.Thanks for the info. Muley

L
Lugnutz Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
L
I'm helping another Chevy truck guy get his set up with a Jeep shaft. You are correct. The bell housing you have will work just fine. The Jeep shaft is often available on eBay. The 10 spline is what you want. Don't get the 14 spline Jeep shaft.

Here's a list of things to do and purchase.

Buy new NWC Jeep input shaft - needs to have 21 gear teeth and 10 splines. Motive Gear part 1351085008R Summit Racing is currently on back order. Try eBay.

Buy a new small bearing parts kit. Get off eBay or you might save money from a transmission shop .

New input shaft tapered bearing - Buy a Timken LM48548 tapered bearing.

Cut the input shaft bearing retainer to the proper length. See my Jeep Shaft Swap slide show.

Buy black high temp RTV sealant.

Get a small jar of vaseline.

Cut hole in cab floor.

Buy 3 quarts of Penzoil Synchromesh transmission fluid (Autozone or other parts store)

Get the correct 27 spline slip yoke (from an S10, S15, 3rd generation Camaro or Firebird or Astro van)

Get drive shaft shortened and get new U joints so they match the yoke and rear connections. Here's how to measure .

You might take a look at my COMPLETE T5 INSTALLATION too. It's got more steps than what the Jeep install would need but helps some folks see what's involved.
Send me a PM and I can share more info via email if you want.

Last edited by Lugnutz; 03/22/15 10:32 PM.
R
Contributor
Contributor
R
Wish I'd known about the jeep shaft years ago when I did that write up about using vega clutch parts. It should replaced be with lug nuts info.

inliner # 3850
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
Ready to start a t5 rebuild next week some time. Just waiting on a new cluster gear set as mine was damaged. I also bought the jeep input shaft so i can just leave the new clutch disk installed and slide in the t5.

52 3100,235ci,Clifford In,Fenton Ex,Fitech EFI,251/254 cam,HEI,T-5,S10 rear, and much more!
L
Lugnutz Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
L
Good for you! I'm helping another truck guy get his installed. He's in TN and so we're doing all of it via email and txt messages. So far, smooth going. he did the Jeep shaft swap too. Please keep us updated on your progress.

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (LAROKE), 302 guests, and 36 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Skulptorchaz, Ryan Clark, chevy454, TCH54, beansprout01
6,778 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available