Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
1953 Chevrolet 3100

engine : 1957 235 block

So I got this truck to crank and run at idle... then ease the choke off. I ran it in reverse, which it was fine. Then when I tried to put it in fwd I kept stalling it out, which I am new to the three on the tree action, but it seemed no matter how much or how little throttle I gave it, when I let out the clutch, it just stalled.

Then it didn't seem to want to start back up...

I just do not know where to start, what to check or adjust really. I am new to the inline sixes.

Anyone have any ideas?

thanks.

-W

G
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
G
Could be a number of things.

I'd check the following:

1) Clean the carb. Might be flooding out. You can check this by popping off the air filter and simply smelling. If it reeks of gas then you might need a clean/rebuild.

2) Check for vacuum leaks. Start by pinching vacuum hoses. Then move on to spraying around the carb with carb cleaner. If it runs smoother during any of these you'll likely pinpoint your problem.

3) Check timing. 8-12 degrees advanced depending on the engine.

4) Might be a bad cam. Does it run rough at idle after all the above? Pop the valve cover off and look for broken valve springs. As a last ditch you can remove the plugs and hand crank the engine while measuring the lift with a fine ruler. When my cam went the car did the same as you're describing. As I said, though, last ditch effort here.

I suspect either a vacuum leak or timing. Could easily be a gummed up carb if you haven't run it in a long time.

C
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
C
Maybe something different. Is trans is stuck between gears, linkage jammed? Not unusual for worn-out three-on-the-tree.

T
Contributor
Contributor
T
Originally Posted By: chevy2inreno
Maybe something different. Is trans is stuck between gears, linkage jammed? Not unusual for worn-out three-on-the-tree.

But then it wouldn't be hard to re-start I would think.

1966 C10 292/tko600 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=596643
1964 C20 292/sm420
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Thanks for the tips folks... I hope to check some things out this weekend and I will report back.

-W

Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Hi folks...

I did get it cranked up and I moved it around down the driveway and then back up again to move it around... so I guess I was all confused about the shift pattern.

I still need to check those things out to be sure that is all it is.

It still needs exhaust beyond the headers and well, everything else... but if it had exhaust it would be legal at least. grin

Thanks so much everyone.

-W

M
Contributor
Contributor
M
Sounds a little like you were trying to start the car in third gear. Just to make sure you are on the right page, pull the shift lever toward you and down, first gear. Up to the middle, the middle of the h pattern so to speak which is neutral, feel it sort of click over, do not push it over, then up, second. Straight down, third. Reverse you know, lol. Also, be precise when you shift. These three on the tree set ups can be troublesome when they get worn and loose. What happens is that you are shifting from first to second, the shift lever on the column will move into the neutral position but the loose and worn linkage and shift linkage and shift tube leaves the trains still in first, and you then get jammed, with the shifter jammed in neutral with the trains still in first. You have to get under the car or under the hood, and manually pull the trans linkage and trans out of first and into neutral and then you can get going again.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 216 guests, and 21 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available