Print Thread
Rate Thread
L
Lugnutz Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
L
Here is a DIY. It will be of interest to anyone combining an S10 cable speedo tail housing with a Camaro T5. This shows how to relocate the drive gear to the correct location. This has been described on this forum in the T5 tech section but they used a metal shim. I used aluminum foil tape. Just another option to consider. Also HERE is a LINK to the same (larger) photos on my BLOG

Last edited by Lugnutz; 02/22/16 11:45 PM.
L
Lugnutz Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
L

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Thanks, that's good info and great pictures.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
E
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
E
One very important note.

When you remove the fork off of the shifter rod the transmission MUST MUST be in netural. This is the only gear position where the retaining pin will come out - any other position and you now have a nice counterwieght that was a T5..

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them
J
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
J
Jay

To your knowledge is there a way to convert electric speedo output trans to cable drive?

I recently found 2-S10 T5's and both electric but I could not pass them up. I know I could always run a GPS speedo and eliminate the issue, but old school rules!

Jim

L
Lugnutz Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
L
Originally Posted By: Jim53066
Jay

To your knowledge is there a way to convert electric speedo output trans to cable drive?

I recently found 2-S10 T5's and both electric but I could not pass them up. I know I could always run a GPS speedo and eliminate the issue, but old school rules!

Jim

Jim,
Sorry for the late reply. Been swamped. Saw this post 3 days ago but wanted to give a decent reply. I will post more later today or tomorrow with pictures to further clarify.

The short answer is NO.

This is the LONG ANSWER.
Option #1
The VSS style S10 tail housing CAN be modified to accept a cable speedo connection. Don't get excited. There is a guy on eBay who does this and I have no idea if he has happy customers or not. You send him your VSS S10 tail housing and he cuts and welds in a hole that will make it accept a cable driven gear housing. You pay all shipping plus his fees which last time I looked were over $225. Then YOU must change the VSS wheel on the main shaft to a driven gear. IMO this is a very expensive option.

Option #2
While I have not explored this modification myself, I did run across a brilliant method of relocating the shifter box on a Camaro T5 HERE. . As you are probably aware, ALL Camaro and Firebird T5s up to 1992 have a cable speedo connection. Yes, some Camaro T5s have a little converter that makes the driven gear turn a VSS box (cable to VSS converter). However, the Camaro T5 still has a drive gear on the main shaft that will turn a driven gear and thus it is child's play to make it have a cable connection. Just swap the VSS conversion box for a TH350 driven gear housing with the correct tooth count and it's now a cable speedo T5. EASY.
I think adding the intermediate shifter box has distinct advantages. You can fine tune where the shifter comes through the floor and you still retain the original shifter guide plate in the rear shift box.

Option #3
Lastly, the CABLE-X box is an option. I was told it has a small electric motor in the box that turns the cable. How long does it last is anybody's guess.

J
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
J
Thanks Jay,
I was hoping someone had figured out a way to put the drive gear on the main shaft like you did when you put the S10 box on the Camaro trans.

That's OK, even with the electric output they are a nice trans for the older 6 cylinders vehicles.

Jim

J
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
J
Now, there is another option albeit it expensive and it uses a Ford T5. http://moderndriveline.com/Technical_Bits/front-shift-T5-tailhousing.htm

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 410 guests, and 44 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available