Print Thread
Rate Thread
J
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
J
Jay,
I am already running a S10 trans in my 52 Chevy and I love it, with one exception, the 4.03 is a little steep, I have to shift out of 1st gear rather quickly with it.

I just found another T5, this one is from an 84 Camaro with the 2.95 first gear I want, but it has the 0.73 5th gear. With my 3.42 rear end, the current overdrive gear is at 0.86 and is perfect. My RPM drops to 2,000 at 65 MPH and I still have enough power to pull decent grades without shifting.

I am thinking (dangerous for me) that I would like to keep the 0.86 gear if possible when I convert the tail shaft over to the new V8 trans. Can I use the 0.86 gear? Or is it not that simple?

Thanks, Jim

L
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
L
Jim,
I will assume you have an inline 6 since you are on this forum. It's all mathematics.
I tried different combinations and IIRC the 0.86 gear becomes 0.63 if you put it into a V8 Camaro T5.

The V8 Camaro input shaft has 24 teeth and if memory serves me the matching countershaft gear has 31 teeth. The S10 input shaft has 21 teeth and the matching countershaft gear has 37. So when you take a 5th gear from an S10 and put it in a V8 Camaro T5 it doesn't remain the same.

The good news is that the early V8 Camaro T5s with a 0.73 OD gear are highly sought after. It is the PERFECT combination for a truck or car with a 3.73 rear. It's what I have and my 230ci loves it.

Here is food for thought. (Yeah, I know, thinking is dangerous!)
Match up your S10 T5 with a 3.08 rear diff.
That will make first gear about perfect (4.03 X 3.08 = 12.41) and a 0.86 5th gear gives you a final drive of 2.64 (0.86 X 3.08 = 2.64).

The 230ci in my truck pulls well on hills with a 5th gear final drive of 2.68 (0.72 OD X 3.73 rear) and I have 29" tall tires.

Last edited by Lugnutz; 04/28/16 12:21 PM.
J
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
J
Thanks Jay,

I had guessed that would be your answer, it was worth a shot.

If I do anything, I will probably replace the S10 trans with the Camaro one and change the tail shaft. Doing the math it looks like the difference in the overdrive at highway speed is only about 250 RPM, that will drop it to 1880 at 65 MPH. I can live with that. I will just have to drive a little faster to keep it in the optimal range of 2000-2200 (lol)

I don't know as much as you about these transmissions, but I do scour Clist all the time looking for cheap ones. I figure in 5-10 years they are REALLY going to be hard to find for the hot rodders.

Thanks again, Jim
(JLCKMKJ on other boards)

L
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
L
Recently, I found a 1986 S10 T5 with cable speedo and the 0.72 OD gear and it had only 55K miles on it. Best condition T5 I've ever found. Drove 1.5 hrs each way to get it but my customer was very happy. I inspected and cleaned the inside and did the Jeep shaft swap with a new bearing and new tail seal. They are pretty hard to find in my area but I find 2 or 3 a year that are affordable.

Here are tips for using CL. I have found a few cable speedo S10 T5s using the word BORG as a search word.

Here are some tips that I use when searching CL.
Use the following terms as individual searches on CL.
Each will get a different set of hits.
T5
T-5
Borg
5 speed
5-speed
S10
S-10
Sonoma
S15
S-15
Camaro
Camero (some people spell it wrong)
Camro (some people spell it wrong)
Firebird
Transmission

While searching in a salvage yard, take a look at ALL the S10, S15 and Sonoma trucks 1989 and earlier. Even if they have a 4 speed, it might have a T5 tail stock. I know that sounds crazy. Why would a T4 4 speed have a T5 tail stock you ask? The only thing I can think of that makes sense is that Borg Warner was planning to phase out the cable speedo T5 S10 trannys and started using the same tail stocks on T4s just to get them off the shelf. I bought one from a guy and the guts are T4 but the case is all T5.

I always look at every S10 with a shifter, no matter what year, just in case someone swapped out the original tranny.

I also use a search engine - SearchTempest.com
It will search ALL the CL listings in multiple cities at once. You can specify how many miles from your zip code you want to search.

Just trying to help.

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (41 Coupe), 228 guests, and 34 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available