Become a Member
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Beemer makes great inlines. And old Jags too - love 'em.

FORD 300 inline six - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING!
E
efi-diy Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
E
Quick update

I pulled the pan off of the 3700 (5 cylinder atlas) I got in Jan. Its spotless inside. Pulled rod cap the rod bearing looks like it was just installed.

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them
V
Contributor
Contributor
V
efi-diy, I'm with you on most points, and if you were a little closer I'd have a beer with you in person, being in Edmonton. As an auto tech I'm a fan of the 4.2 Atlas but that intake is plain ugly. I understand both sides here and I'm always tempted to look at a FI motor, it's the piecing together a PCM that catches me. I would love to do that swap in my 55 Pontiac as a possibility though, even as I make a post elsewhere about Webber sidedrafts.. I waxed poetic about a 4.2 FI for my 79 1/2 ton and did nothing but now I've got a long term vision type of car that has a future as a long distance cruiser. I am a big fan of modern tech in old cars. I'd love to see your GMC in person some time.

V
Contributor
Contributor
V
I am with you on the longevity of these engines when taken care of. New stuff in general has a nearly infinite lifespan, if people would just change their oil. Good for me, bad for them.

V
Contributor
Contributor
V
Also I'd love an obd2 port on my old car. It makes life so much simpler.

E
efi-diy Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
E
Originally Posted By: vanherk1
efi-diy, I'm with you on most points, and if you were a little closer I'd have a beer with you in person, being in Edmonton. As an auto tech I'm a fan of the 4.2 Atlas but that intake is plain ugly. I understand both sides here and I'm always tempted to look at a FI motor, it's the piecing together a PCM that catches me. I would love to do that swap in my 55 Pontiac as a possibility though, even as I make a post elsewhere about Webber sidedrafts.. I waxed poetic about a 4.2 FI for my 79 1/2 ton and did nothing but now I've got a long term vision type of car that has a future as a long distance cruiser. I am a big fan of modern tech in old cars. I'd love to see your GMC in person some time.

Once you peel off the outer noise insulation and put some paint on the intake - its not so ugly.

The PCM is not a hard one to deal with. Jeremy offers a harness strip/fix and pcm reflash to allow a 4-6 wire connection to the host vehicle.

Alternatively if your going to be modifying the engine and want full access - then Megasquirt 3 or Pro will run the engine using all the stock sensors.

There are intake and exhaust flanges available it you care to roll your own intake/headers.

The one note.. if you are going to use a GM pcm then you MUST keep the drive by wire actuator and integrate it into the throttle blade - otherwise the PCM will shut the engine down.

If is possible to replace the fuel side with a carb - and keep the COP ignition by adding a 36-1 timing wheel on the front then use Microsquirt (its another megasquirt product) to run the coils paired 1/6 5/2 3/4 on the coil trigger input.
So if you wanted to run webber side drafts this would take care of the ign. Prices start at $339 with the short harness. microsquirt
I have a design for the 36-1 trigger wheel/mount plate etc. I have built a few of them ( I needed one for myself before the MS software caught up to use the stock sensors).

All the needed parts to do the install are available except engine mounts. One sore point currently is MT flywheels. Its being worked on but slow.

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them
V
Contributor
Contributor
V
This is all very interesting. I'm guessing the DCOE's would need a fabbed intake plate/plates. Are there flanges available for carb intakes or a carbed intake period? I've read that even the 700r4 will bolt up minus one bolt, same as ls motors. Did your 4200 carbed intake design plan die on the vine?

Last edited by vanherk1; 10/11/16 01:15 AM.
E
efi-diy Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
E
Originally Posted By: vanherk1
This is all very interesting. I'm guessing the DCOE's would need a fabbed intake plate/plates. Are there flanges available for carb intakes or a carbed intake period? I've read that even the 700r4 will bolt up minus one bolt, same as ls motors. Did your 4200 carbed intake design plan die on the vine?

- Intake flanges are available. I can help if you want to do a DOCE intake
- Any trans that bolts to a 194/292/SBC/BBC/LS needs an adapter plate + a few other items or a mod to the bell housing. Another choice is to the 4l60e that came behind the 4200 from GM - powertrain control solutions makes simple shift controller that works well to run the transmission.

- yes - it died on the vine - no uptake

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Al Offline
Contributor
Contributor
Thought I'd chime in here. I've had my 4200 powered 52 Chev HT on the road since mid summer. It's a stock 2006 motor except for a TKO-600 5 speed and a split manifold. It's a smooth powerful runner that gets good gas mileage and still has that great 6 cylinder rap. It's not an easy conversion but the benefits really out way the difficulties. There is plenty of help out there for those that want to go in this direction starting with efi-dyi.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 135 guests, and 44 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available