Rate Thread
#92254 07/30/17 11:36 PM
D
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
D
Question for the masses...
What spark plug are you using and what gap?

It was suggested that based on the condition of my plugs, I should run a cooler heat range. The white build up is ash... burning the oil that is in the cylinders (rings?).

I DO know that after cleaning the deposits off of my plugs, the engine runs as good as it ever has!

dodgycanuck #92259 07/31/17 11:30 PM
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Originally Posted By: dodgycanuck
It was suggested that based on the condition of my plugs, I should run a cooler heat range. The white build up is ash... burning the oil that is in the cylinders (rings?)

For me heat range tuning on plugs is 'fine tuning' after larger variables have been sorted out. If plugs are cooking because the mixture is lean or the timing is late - switching to a cooler plug is hardly the 'next' intervention - Engine Builder: understanding spark plug heat range. As to 'what' is burning and being deposited on a particular engine's plugs - again this is not about heat range. If cylinders are out of round thereby preventing the oil rings from scraping the walls clean - changing heat range doesn't fix the fact that too much oil is entering the cylinder during the compression/combustion event.

Originally Posted By: dodgycanuck
I DO know that after cleaning the deposits off of my plugs, the engine runs as good as it ever has!

Isolating and preventing the source of the deposits is the goal. In a properly setup engine the plugs are 'self cleaning'.

dodgycanuck #92263 08/01/17 09:22 PM
D
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
D
Well, you're not wrong!
I guess I am getting ahead of myself in this area... knowing I have many things to do before the fine tuning.
I got excited seeing the difference clean plugs made and wanted to help that aspect of how the engine ran.
I'm not entirely sure where the extra oil is coming from. Knowing that this engine is a temporary engine, im trying to help it where I can.
Thanks for the wake up call!!!

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 253 guests, and 42 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available