Rate Thread
#92352 08/16/17 01:00 PM
V
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
V
Hi,
I'm new here. I was told that I could take a 235 crankshaft and put it in a 216 block and convert my 216 splash oil system to a oil pump operating system.

Is this true?

Thank you, Larry

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Hi Larry . . .

Well it is somewhat true - but not without some major caveats. It's no bolt in.

The '55 and later 235 crank is dimensionally similar but not identical to those found in the earlier stovebolt sixes. The 216 and earlier 235's (thru '54) have a much wider thrust bearing. So either the block would have to be machined to take the narrower thrust bearing or the crank would have to be machined to thrust against a the wider thrust bearing (and then re-balanced). I don't know of any machinist's that have ever tried such operations - I have just seen posts over the years speculating about the 'possibilities'.

Given the dollars involved you'd be better off looking for '53 or '54 crank that is already rifle drilled from the factory. If found you can expect to pay big bucks if bidding against the corvette crowd. Or you could try having a 216 or 235 High-Torque crank rifle drilled. But again finding someone with this experience in 2017 may be a challenge. Experience is necessary because the drilling has to stay as far from the main bearing oil entry holes as possible.

Personally, I have stroked my 216 with a '52 Power Glide crank, switched the Rods to insert bearings but retained the jet oiling. I am just not going to rev the engine to the point that full pressure to the rods is necessary. If you do stroke the stock deck height of 216 pistons would leave the top of the piston proud by 3/32. The guys at Ross Pistons can do a custom set that will zero deck to your block.

regards,
stock49

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
You might try reaching out to Gene Beck:
Beck's M&T

Based on this video he moved his business out of Oakhurst:
YouTube

Not sure if he is still business. He may have parts - and may have done the rifle drilling if you decide to go down that path.

I don't know Gene.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 228 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available