Print Thread
Rate Thread
R
radar Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
R
I need info on where to buy 40 Chevy Interior sun visor pads. I have both left and right brackets with rods but need the pads. Chevy's of the 40's has 46-54 Chevy pads and American Classic Trucks has pads for 39-47 trucks but not cars.

Also, I need info on location & orientation of the visor brackets mounted the roof near the upper/outer corners of front windshield. Is the arrowhead shaped bracket pointed up or down or? If you have a 40 Chevy, please take a look. My visor hole locations got upholstered over and hole locations were not marked.

Does anyone have used pads they want to sell?

FranK Hainey
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Couldn't a local upholstery shop make you sun visors?

You could probe the windshield header panel with a needle to locate the existing holes.

FORD 300 inline six - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING!
R
radar Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
R
I am missing the internal parts of the Pad: the long sleeve that the rod fits into and the Masonite board that is stapled to the sleeve and holds the shape of the pad. An upholsterer would need both pieces to build the pads. New pads would include these missing pieces.

I have been fishing around with a needle to find the three screw holes. but no success yet.

FranK Hainey
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Originally Posted By: radar
Is the arrowhead shaped bracket pointed up or down or? If you have a 40 Chevy, please take a look.

This is the style department of Chevrolet at work. Every Chevy from the 40s I've ever seen the arrow head points up and back.

I just looked at my parts master. The shade is Group 10.203 - the support is Group 10.219. All closed 37-40 use the same support. All closed 41-48 use the same support - except wagons and fastbacks - and of course the convertible is different too.

The part numbers for shades changed every year - but this is likely because of minor style/fabric changes. Dimensions are dictated by the support - so my gut says they'll likely interchange.

If it were me I would order a set from Chev's of the 40's and see if they just might not work. '41 was a new body. Is the interior space wider then the 40? If so the sunshades might be longer then your support. But they still might work. Or your upholstery guy could tweak them.

Happy hunting and good luck.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
May have spoken too soon here.

Looks like the shade attaches differently on the 37-40:
ChevsOfThe40s

It is screwed on. Whereas on the '41 and later the support rod slides through the shade.

According the link there taking names. Maybe they have someone lined up to produce if they can reach a minimum order quantity.

R
radar Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
R
I was able to find the hole locations using a pin. The arrow head mounting bracket points down to match the hole locations.

I might try the longer 41s or the 39 thru 46 Truck pads from American Classic Truck Parts.

The 37 thru 40 sun visors above have 3 hole Brackets and separate Rods. My Bracket and Rod are not easily separated and are simpler looking.

I need pads that will snugly fit on to my 9/32 inch diameter rods. Also, My rods are only 8 inches long so I might have to weld on an extension to cover a 15 or 16 inch pad.

FranK Hainey
R
radar Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
R
It has been awhile but I thought you might be interested in how my search for 40 Chevy Sun Visors worked out. I took a visit to my local Pick Your Part in Oceanside, CA with my tools, a drawing and a tape measure and looked for visors that might fit my car. I ended up raiding a 1990 Ford F150 pickup. They fit perfectly believe it or not. They include 2 brackets that mount in the same location but the shafts are longer. The shades are designed to avoid blocking the mirror. There is a common center bracket the holds the ends of both shafts when the shades are parallel with the windshield. The passenger side even has a make-up mirror. They are not vintage, but they work fine for me.

FranK Hainey
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Originally Posted By: radar
I ended up raiding a 1990 Ford F150 pickup. They fit perfectly believe it or not.

So you used your original rods and mounting brackets substituting the shades from the Ford? Or did the entire piece from the Ford screw right in?

R
radar Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
R
I used the entire Ford sun visor system - brackets, rods and shades. Had to drill new screw holes to match the Ford brackets. The shades are a unique shape. They are normal width but they narrow to go above the mirror mounted on the center window frame. Both left and right rods meet in the center of the windshield and share a common holding bracket. The also swing to the correct side door windows positions. I'd post a picture if I can figure that out.

Sorry for the late reply.

FranK Hainey
R
radar Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
R
Here's my first attempt at getting photos of the visors on my 40 Chevy.

[img]https://www.dropbox.com/preview/SunVisorPhotos/043.JPG?role=personal[/img]

FranK Hainey
R
radar Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
R
Here's a link to a few more images of the sun visors.

Sun Visors 40 Chevy

FranK Hainey
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Nice fitment. That design shades the entire length of the windshield without interfering with the rear-view mirror. And the pivots allow one to shade the side-glass when cruising parallel to the sun . . .

Rust-Oleum makes aerosol paint for vinyl/fabric if you want to re-color them . . .

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (Warren grimm, OldCarKook), 192 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Skulptorchaz, Ryan Clark, chevy454, TCH54, beansprout01
6,778 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available