Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#93347 - 02/11/18 11:15 AM Website/Club?
Beater of the Pack Offline
Active BB Member

Loc: Northern Nevada
Please excuse the length of this. It's been eating on me for years and many of my feelings were confirmed by members I spoke with yesterday. Lock it or delete it if you must but don't disregard it. It is the truth.

"From Club President Will Willis; I hope that this can bring everyone more up to date on the website roll out.
The Club just recently got full ownership of the website and domain names. This was a basic need.
The original website was written using an arcane and obsolete program. This is why we were unable to update what we had.
A big concern to all has been, "Don't lose the old posts" It isn't easy to integrate this into the new website.
Updating the website and our image is still the priority and we will bring it up as soon as possible.

Will Willis" Posted 7/22/2016 12:12 AM

There seems to be a trend of locking threads that become uncomfortable for those in charge. The one above was locked with just this post.
At the monthly meeting for the Northern Nevada Chapter yesterday there was much discussion about the shabby website, the 12 Port News, and the decline of the Mother Club. The threatened loss of 12 Port issues as well as printing cost were discussed.
The Facebook vs Website discussion went on for a while. This chapter has a pretty active Facebook page which sees quite bit of activity. Most members do not use it. Some members have also sent articles for inclusion in the 12 Port News. Most members read and like the magazine but don't send articles or ask questions.
As for the website most members don't use it much either but the reasons for this were interesting. Only the BB is functional (somewhat). The home page shows information for 2014! One member gave up trying ti find info on the 2018 Convention. Rich has tried but his info should be on the front page. The home page should not be advertising the convention before the last one. Others said they can't access any worthwhile information here. We don't all run 292,235, or 4.2s.
We have mostly lost the guys who run Hudsons, MOPARs, Fords, AMCs, Studebakers.......... Why? They come, they can't see, the can't find, and the can't believe it even exists.
The 12 Port while quaint and fun will never fill the purpose it did before. If it can be kept it should be, but it can't be the drain that sinks the organization. Facebook is quick, fast and easy but is not the place to store our archives. Vast amounts of stored Inline information is what is needed. New people come here wanting a place to find the information we have hidden away. It is here but only accessible to someone willing to spend a lot of time finding a back door into it. They will go somewhere las and not come back. Why would they? Other sites have lots mote of the info they are looking for. The problem here is not that no one likes or in using inlines. It is certainly not that a lot of "younger" people are interested in inlines. On other sites and at car events I see more inlines(new & Old) than I have since the 60s. Inliners through the 12 Port, Facebook, and the website are almost a total failure at decimating the information people come to Inlners seeking.

What do they see? First impression? The newest information anywhere but the BB is 4 years old. They smell decay.

WE have a total of 17 Tech Tips.
The Inlines Rides are mostly the same as when I got here.
The Events Calendar ends on a blank page in 2015.
From the Front has a 2013 message from the president telling on 2013 inliner
Bonneville records that probably no longer stand and hope that the Rim Fire
near Yosemite will be controlled. Any Idea how much of California has burned
since then?
Chapter Chatter also 2013 boosts the upcoming 2014 Convention and decries a
number of chapters with no heads. It's worse today!
Chapters info was not even up to date for 2013.
Advertisers 4 with 10 blank spaces around them. What does that say to someone
looking for a group to join?
Casting#s only 3 of the 5 links work.

The website, like it or not, is the face and future of the club. The first contact most new people have with Inliners International will be on the website. Those using the various Facebook pages should be directed to the website. Those reading a 12 Port news are already near a member who should grab their money and direct them to the website. The website should be interesting, up to date, useful and easy to use. There are many thousands of Inline powered vehicles on the road and as projects in shops everywhere. If these people can get what they are looking for here some will join the club.
Inliners can get back some of what has been lost. Car folks don'r go to just one site. This one is unique and can be great again. I know several former members who would come back if the site was fixed and the club would clean up it's act. You've got to have something worth joining and there has to be a benefit in paying dues. Members MUST be listened to and NEVER EVER lied to. It is imperative that the archived post be preserved. That is something we have that exists here and nowhere else. It is our "ace in the hole". They are our treasure. A huge percentage is from people who have died or left this place. It can not be replaced. There is a lot of crap too, posts where concerned people disagree. You must remember most members will not gt to a convention and even fewer will attend a board meeting not because there is a lack of interest. It's because they can't. This website is where they meet and express their feelings and ideas. Those like me are just BB members and our views are just that. Had our views, when we were members, been valued the club might be a little bigger. Hell just being recognized at Bonneville by guys I'd met face to face a half dozen times at club events would have made a difference. Elitism does not mix with membership but that's for another day. smile

#93354 - 02/11/18 02:49 PM Re: Website/Club? [Re: Beater of the Pack]
will6er Offline

Active BB Member

Loc: Lakewood, CO
Tom-
FYI - I have asked that a number of threads be left open for comment
You must think I enjoy this abuse.
I can only go with the information I have been given. One person can't do it all, so I have to depend on others doing their part.
Your Chapter has long been at a level for others to inspire to.As I said in another post, finger-pointing and innuendo are not helpful.
Gather together ideas and suggestions and pass them on to your Chapter Head so we can work together.
Participation is vital in any endeavor - whether it's new ideas or new members.

I hope to hear from you.

Will Willis

#93356 - 02/11/18 04:10 PM Re: Website/Club? [Re: Beater of the Pack]
Active BB Member

Will, I am not pointing fingers, laying blame maybe, but those to blame need not to be pointed out. We have all failed to some degree but the regular members have very little say in what the board does.
I am not a leader so I make it a point not to wreck things by taking leadership roles. If I choose to participate I will do it in a place where I can make a difference and where my contributions are appreciated and where the people care about each other. That is our local chapter. We are mostly old and all friends. We are smart enough to have gotten this far and won't apologize for not wanting to have to master the latest trend in social media on the "Smart Phone of the month".
No matter what, the information stored on this site and the knowledge of our participants are all we have to offer. It is what sets us apart. It is our responsibility to preserve it even if the club goes belly up. We and our forerodders put it here to share in attempts to help others. It's not going to be saved on Face book and it would take the next 100 years of the 12 Port news to print it At an estimated cost of &3,000,000.
You are right participation is a vital and it's time the people with the power begin to participate in dialog with the masses and quit working about getting their feelers hurt.. Tom

#93360 - 02/11/18 09:00 PM Re: Website/Club? [Re: Beater of the Pack]
nln6pinto Offline

Active BB Member

Loc: phoenix AZ
Tom,
First off I don't get the one member who couldn't find any info about the 2018 Convention. There's info here it's on Facebook (I know that member probably doesn't use it.) But the announcement has been in the last 3 or 4 12Port news with my contact info.I urge people to call or email me with questions etc.I'm more than happy to talk with them.
Secondly I try to do the best that I can here but I will be honest I do not know how to write code and even If I could I don't have access to change the front page or the other contents. You're right about the content of information here in the archives but it is probably more Gm oriented as the Ford folks have Fordsix.com and the Chrysler guys have Slantsix.org with more info than will ever be on this website. Participation thats another issue aswell as even when it comes to making decisions by vote half of the Chapter heads or more won't reply, vote or communicate with the rest of the board. Most of the time they don't even open up thier emails from Officers or other Board members.A recent email sent out to fellow board members netted a 75% read percentage and several responded which has been more than in the past several years. There are alot of people who feel the same way and have the same concerns a you do. There are those who want to see change and things happen. Hpoefully we can come together and work to make those changes and get the Club headed in a new direction. It is going to take members old and new, people with new ideas and those with a passion for the past and not ua bickering and fighting amongst ourselves.

Edited by nln6pinto (02/11/18 09:02 PM)

Vintage gas dragster Ford 300 & C-4 under Construction

#93361 - 02/11/18 10:10 PM Re: Website/Club? [Re: Beater of the Pack]
Active BB Member

Rich, All I know about the guy looking for Convention information is what he told us at the meeting. He said he could not find what he needed on this site. He may have never gotten to the BB and he shouldn't have to. I know you have tried to get information out but not having access makes it impossible. Tim Tenold had no help when he was Web Master. He was not allowed to do much but he got plenty of blame. A lot of it from the people that wouldn't allow him to do anything.
I realize that the other than GM guys have other threads but we used to have a lot more of them here. They left not because the other sites exist but because information here is inaccessible. None of us just go to one site and we often take information from site to site either as copied text or links. It's not a competition but an accumulation of information.
I found the Hudson site very hard to navigate and I found but I was looking for Essex information. I quit that club too. The H.A.M.B. is a very easy site to use, Searches are easy and bring lots of hits. You can post pictures from your desktop. It has gone through several updates. They lost some pictures once but have been able to retain the posts they wanted to keep. The folks at Rusty Bowtie site have done major updates and have not lost anything. I know nothing about computer code or I'd try to help. All of the 12 Port issues should be archived here too.
I agree we all need to do our part but it must start with those in control. They must take control or get out of the way and see if someone else will. Though job for sure. Not many if any will enter this partly because this breaks out from time to time, promises are made , and never kept.

#93392 - 02/13/18 11:47 AM Re: Website/Club? [Re: Beater of the Pack]
Active BB Member

I would like for all interested parties to visit this website: Stovebolt It uses a newer version of the software we use. They have version 7.6.1.1 and we have 7.5.8. They have have existed at least as long as us.

When I first came here I was surprised at the almost identical look of the two sites. There is even a post about it buried in our archives.

I have asked some people I know who run websites to look here and see what they think could be done. I am going to make the same request at Stovebolt too. They have obviously made several upgrades to this system.

I only ask that members and users to take a look. If you are interested in helping step up and lets talk.

Before any changes can happen here someone has to have the Administrative Authority and the Will to use it. (no finger pointing or innuendo intended). We can't even begin to study the problem until we can get into the controls and ask questions. We need to know what exactly the club bought and if we can safely update.

ANYONE?

Edited by Beater of the Pack (02/13/18 11:51 AM)

#93397 - 02/13/18 02:56 PM Re: Website/Club? [Re: Beater of the Pack]
CNC-Dude #5585 Offline
Active BB Member

Loc: N. Georgia
PM sent Beater! I know the answer, but wont bother discussing it if they aren't willing to move forward with what needs to happen. I have had my UBB forum for 8 years now, and I can guarantee I am more familiar with how it works and the HTML coding than anyone here. Has anyone of the "red letter" people looked at the "second" control panel, or even know that there is one?

Inliners International Advertiser

#93423 - 02/15/18 10:32 AM Re: Website/Club? [Re: Beater of the Pack]
Active BB Member

No interest?

Here is some of what I learned:
There is more than one level of passwords for administrators.

Rich's code/password as a moderator is very limited. I used to have that.

The Bulletin Board Has separate passwords or controls from the main website.

Someone here may have the power to totally control the BB and have no power to fix the main website issues or up date the version of the software.

The Webmaster should have the proper passwords or codes but evidently Tom Tenold did not have them when he was Webmaster years ago. He is the last Webmaster listed on the Officer page from 2013.

Will's 2016 post on this subject that was locked from the beginning states:
"The Club just recently got full ownership of the website and domain names. This was a basic need.The original website was written using an arcane and obsolete program. This is why we were unable to update what we had."

So now here are a few Questions:
1. Is there a Webmaster? Is the web master doing anything?
2. Does that person have full control of the website?
3. If not, who does?
4. Exactly what did the club get with it's "full ownership" of the website?
5 Who determined that what is here can not be updated? Other sites have managed it.
6. If nothing can be changed on the main pages how did so many former advertisers get removed?
7. If someone has a separate password to that page who has the rest?
8. Am I beating a dead website here? shocked laugh

#93427 - 02/15/18 05:09 PM Re: Website/Club? [Re: Beater of the Pack]
nln6pinto Offline

Active BB Member

Loc: phoenix AZ
Tom,
Answers for questions 1 and 2 are in the thread by 53Chevy " Request for Articles"I have also asked to have the Bulletin Board updated when it is moved to it's new home. For some of the answers to other questions it is probably best to leave them unawnsered to avoid anymore finger pointing,If you understand where I'm coming frpm with that.I can say that they are trying to save as much from the BB and other areas of the website during traansfer over to the new site.

Vintage gas dragster Ford 300 & C-4 under Construction

#93434 - 02/16/18 08:24 AM Re: Website/Club? [Re: Beater of the Pack]
Active BB Member

I do not understand where you are coming from with the finger pointing defense. Many members have left this club, one whole chapter left, and several chapter heads don't respond to the club's communications because of the incompetence of the club "leaders". It is a little beyond finger pointing.

Just look at what 53Chevy had to do. We can assume that Marleah Marshall Scott is the new Webmaster. Someone unknown on the Bulletin Board. She made a request on Facebook for content for the new website. No request here? The request was only for current members. That fine but there are members here and I'll bet some do not use facebook. It is more of the same arrogance that has brought this all on. Thanks 53Chevy for telling those here. WE still would not know. You can see from Rich's response that a straight answer to a question was not possible.

I have been bringing up some old posts to show that these posts exist going back to 2001. Some of those by people who are still here like The Frenchtown Flyer, Twisted6, MBHD, and some I know I'm missing.
All I'm asking is to know who is in charge.
Can that person be contacted from here?
Who if anyone is actually doing the job they took.?
Will the history stored here be preserved?
How about some REAL ANSWERS?
If I can bring these old threads up they can be saved. If they are not saved it is because someone in charge either is incompetent or chooses not to save them.
The secrecy around the new website does not instill confidence.
No, I'm not finger pointing, no need. The ones responsible for the decline of the Club, the condition of the website, and the failure to honestly answer questions deserve more that finger pointing.

#93436 - 02/16/18 12:56 PM Re: Website/Club? [Re: Beater of the Pack]
Blackwater Offline
Active BB Member

Loc: Middle Tennessee
NEW WEBSITE??? IS THERE A NEW WEBSITE!! How would someone who doesn't use Facebook or someone interested in joining find a new website if there is one?? How would past members who MIGHT be interested find out about it?? Would a member who wants to know about it have to wait for whenever another issue of Twelve Port arrived, (if it does arrive) if they don't use Facebook??

What's the deal???

#93438 - 02/16/18 04:51 PM Re: Website/Club? [Re: Blackwater]
CNC-Dude #5585 Offline
Active BB Member

Loc: N. Georgia
Not new, just this one revamped. But as you can see, many have their doubts.

Inliners International Advertiser

#93458 - 02/18/18 07:32 AM Re: Website/Club? [Re: Beater of the Pack]
Twisted6 I.I #3220 Offline
Active BB Member

Loc: Palatka FL. USA I.I. # 3220
When I was a Mod. of this BB And Jack was around (for ever Missed) I could get into a lot of this I was able to make changes , Save , Edit, and so on I could even get into the much older posts.( archives ) this is Things Jack showed me how to do. I haven't done any of it in many years BUT IT can be done.
#3220 }[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.

Moderator:  nln6pinto, will6er 
Who's Online
5 registered (Armond, II#298, Lifeguard, Juicetone, doug albee, 50sChevys), 67 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
windsordeuce, 50sChevys, Atlanticguy, robiesrods, jrinaman
6046 Registered Users