Become a Member
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Here’s a little picture trail of the engine swap, driveline and rebuild of the car at the same time.

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/24517690

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Wow. You went all the way with the frame off . . . nice work - nice results.

Thanks for sharing. What sort of mods did you make on the 302?

Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member

Well, the carbs are matched 228 Zeniths and the intake is a somewhat rare aluminum Frank McGurk from the ‘50s. The pistons are Venolas with small domes and the cam is a mild street grind suggested by Patrick. The bore is .040 over, the crank is balanced and the block has been decked. The clutch and flywheel are 1959 and the coil is from Crain. The distributor is a mini HEI from Tom Langdon. The balancer is from a 235 Chevy and was bored to fit the 302 shaft and shortened 1/8”. The radiator is aluminum and from Superior with modifications to allow for fitting the saddle. Temp runs about 175 on a hot Texas day in July. Has 8 qts. Of Valvoline and 8 ozs of ZDDP.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I'm using a pair of 228s on my 153 Chevy four build. Do you know of a parts source that has the changeable venturies? I may need some smaller ones. They are great carbs.
Nice build, great work.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member

Have you tried these guys?

http://www.zenithfuelsystems.com/

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Thank you! How could I have missed them in my searches? The 228 section mentions the venturies. I'll contact them. Thanks again, Tom

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member

Hope they can help you.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I sent an eMail and I'll call them tomorrow. If they are available it will be easier than making them. I'm not really sure I will need to change them. Thanks!

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I got my answer today. The venturies and available in 32mm,30mm,29mm, and 24mm. Two of the carbs I have were on a small port GMC intake and have 30mm venturies. I'm going to use them on a 175 ci engine so I need to figure out what I need. Thanks for the lead!

Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member

Glad I could help.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
My flash player wouldn't let me see your photos at first. That is a wonderful build. Great color choice. In many ways it's such a modern build but the GMC and overall detail is so traditional. Great job no wonder it brings home the trophies.
I see your carbs have the adjustable main jets. On another site I was told by a respected carb expert that those are great in a single application but cause tuning issues in multiple setups. Have you noticed this? I used them in pairs and had no problems. Do you remember the venturi size in your carbs?

Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member

Thank you. I tuned each carb in by starting out with the same settings and then tuning each one to the two ports closest to that carb, by using the plugs for tuning ‘devises’ until they were all in unison. Runs like a Swiss watch.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Thanks, that is good to know. Anytime you add carbs you need to take the time to make it all work together. I've always liked the idea of adjustable mains on these and only thought of it as a plus. Two is the most I've ever used and that is all I'm doing now. I'll check that off and move on to other worries. Thanks again for taking the time to to reassure me. Tom

Major Contributor
Major Contributor
Beautiful car Jack. How many miles have you put on it ? Any problems or anything you would have done different?

Ontario Inliners
1965 Chevelle
1940 Chev
1965 Chev Pick-up
1970 MGB Roadster

Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Got over 3,000 miles on it now. Would have done nothing different except wish I had put a red dash mark in my special order wiring harness in lieu of the standard yellow on the black overall. Just a nit picking thing for me. Lol

One thing I didn’t mention is that I have a dual fuel delivery system on it. I have a low pressure electric fuel pump on a separate line up past the mechanical pump which I use to prime those carbs. after the car has set for several days. It takes about 10 seconds to prime them and I’ll turn the switch back off. The starter then lwinds it right off. It also serves as a backup pump in the event the mechanical one gives out going down the road and will get me home.

The last thing I’ll mention is my electric cutoff switch hidden under the dash that can shut off the power at the battery. This serves as a security factor as well as preventing a short from setting it on fire while out in the garage and me sound asleep. Lol. Well, not funny...

Six years ago, I had to make a decision whether to keep my beloved ‘55 Chevy Hardtop ‘Gypsy’ with a 427 Rat in it and other amenities, or keep my high school type car with all the bling I didn’t have back then. Well, I kept the 302 and let the ‘55 go. I had that car over 16 years and was a hard decision to have to make. I love my Fleetline though and happy with my decision.

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/24519647

Last edited by 50sChevys; 03/11/18 04:26 PM. Reason: Added picture trail
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Originally Posted By: 50sChevys
Here’s a little picture trail of the engine swap, driveline and rebuild of the car at the same time.

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/24517690

Spent some quality time with your photos over coffee this morning. The shots of the floorboards brought back memories:

Did you find press-board and tar-paper? Your floors look alot less rusty then mine were.

I see that you used the Thermo-Tec product to insulate the floors:

Did you cover the trunk floor too? How many rolls did it take?

I just put a posting up over in Body & Paint about floor board restoration:
Inliner's Body&Paint circa March '18

Really nice work on your '50. Great pics.

BTW I see we both went for the same dual master-cylinder conversion:

regards,
stock49

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 213 guests, and 59 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Skulptorchaz, Ryan Clark, chevy454, TCH54, beansprout01
6,778 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available