Quote:
Originally posted by jimmy six #35:
I purchased a few 302 statonary engines which had a large boss which made a stock style starter impossible to fit. You can just grind it off. Not sure if miltary ones had this or not.
Yes the military blocks do have that big nub on the block where the starter mounts and I ground it off no problem as you stated. The pre '54 engines used the double stud front motor mount on the timing gear backing plate. The post '54 civilian engines used the Y type yoke around the sides and a single stud front motor mount. The military engines used two heavy 4 bolt mounts like arms coming straight off the engine sides. The distributor side mount covers the area where the fuel pump is normally installed and this is another reason that electric fuel pumps were used on the Military model. I cut that area out and tapped it and installed a mechanical fuel pump on my military block 302.

Here's a couple illustrations that might help.

Another consideration is the flywheel configuration. I'm running my 302 on 6v + ground and accordingly I needed a 139 tooth ring gear. The ONLY 6 bolt flywheel with a 139 tooth ring gear is out of a '53-'54 GMC 248-270-302 equipped GMC standard shift trucks so these are a little like the holy grail for those running a stock electrical system at six volts. I used a '54 248 flywheel and bellhousing in my '51 3/4 ton GMC. I'm also still on the toe/heel starter by choice. COE engines all used a six volt solenoid starter so those are different too.

There are plenty of six bolt 168 tooth (12 volt) ring gear flywheels around and they are not too hard to find, but the '54 ones are a bugger and I had to search quite a while to come up with one.

Rob English
II Member #2141