Hi Ratatatat . . .

I have heard speculation that CAW stands for "Colorado Aluminum Works" - still others say that it is a monogram of some guys initials - another story is that these were made for a fleet of delivery vehicles to quiet valve noise - who knows for sure. My research has turned up zero documentation on these things. I am told that a house still stands at the address:

And that the fella with initials CAW has long since passed away.

I have only ever seen one - and when I did I bought it!

The previous owner had painted it blue flame blue. But he didn't prep it well and it fish eyed due to oil deposits. So then he went for a second and then a third coat! The results were less then professional.

I had to steep it in accetone to get all that off - especially since it went into the pores of this rough casting:

Then I used gun cleaning patches and toluene to wick the oily spots. The toluene cuts the oil and floats it to the surface - and the cotton in the patch grabs it without any rubbing.

To get a uniform color I sprayed it with Eastman's TriCoat and then polished it with 000 steel wool. It still needs some more elbow grease. I will seal it with a coat of Eastmans's diamond clear satin before I install it for real.

regards,
stock49

[Linked Image from 49fastback.com]