'Alright well why would it matter if the valve cover has vacuum if it is vented into the air cleaner assembly (where it would have slight vacuum anyway)?'

Snowman, It is becoming apparent that you are not familiar with the way all the systems work and interact with each other, and are not willing to take the time to learn.

The PVC (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) system, takes filtered air from the air cleaner (the larger hose), which is drawn thru' the engine and regulated by the PCV valve, into the intake manifold (the smaller hose), or base of the carb in some applications, thus purging the oil and combustion bypass fumes into the intake and burning them in the engine, thus eliminating the blow-by being vented into the atmosphere.

This process is engineered by the auto manufacturer, regulated by the PVC valve, and the carburetor is calibrated to take this extra air/fume flow into consideration. Just removing the hoses and plugging them, without realizing the effect, doesn't accomplish your goal.

The same goes with the carburetor. The anti-dieseling solenoid was put there because in order for the engine to pass the pollution standards the compromises needed (retarded timing and leaner fuel/air mixture) caused the run-on when the engine was shut off. So this solenoid, which when energized, positions holds the butterfly in the correct configuration for normal operation, was incorporated to shut the throttle plate (butterfly) completely allowing the engine to die in a dignified manner without bucking and snorting when the ignition was turned off.

By just removing it, or allowing it to stay in the non-energized position, you don't have a stop for the idle speed screw to properly locate, which in turn is more than likely responsible for your mixture screw adjustment problems.

You will not cure the run-on without fixing everything back to factory stock, or getting another model carburetor that you can work with. I have tried redoing these carbs, it is not worth the trouble.

If it ran smoothly before you fixed it, there is probably nothing major wrong that you cannot figure out. Just go step-by-step on what you did and it will come to you.

Please read thru this post a couple of times before thinking I am being a jerk, I'm just trying to help.

Good luck,

Tim

Tim Tenold
I.I.#498