Originally Posted By: playinsafe44

The HPtuners and EFIlive sound pretty good as far as being user freindly, and it would be the easiest route to have the VVT working. Is this similar to megasquirt as far as tuneability? What would be the downside to this route (if there is one)?

EFI, you say that the Megasquirt 2 would be the one to start with. Would I be able to control VVT? You deleted the VVT on your engine correct? Did this hurt MPG or power? Like Limequat said... How does the mileage compare between a 292 and a 4200? And the ultimate question... If you did it over again, would you still go with Megasquirt? I appreciate all the good feedback!

EFI, you say that the Megasquirt 2 would be the one to start with.

Depending on your time frame to get this running - MS2 has many installs and the s/w is stable. It does not run VVT. MS3 with VVT operation is under development now. I never had VVT in operation so its hard for me to comment now.... ask in 8 weeks.

My 292 got 14 MPG highway. The stock 4200 got 25-27 MPG highway. My built motor gets 16-18 MPG but its also making 300HP at part throttle.

I was already using MS on another vehicle so it was a natural.

Starting from scratch.. don't know - I'd have to see and use HP tuners / EFI live before making a choice. There is something to be said for OEM electronics if the engine is staying near stock.
On the other hand folks on trailvoy are starting to run into limits on the stock tune.

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them