Originally Posted By: efi-diy
[quote=playinsafe44]

Starting from scratch.. don't know - I'd have to see and use HP tuners / EFI live before making a choice. There is something to be said for OEM electronics if the engine is staying near stock.
On the other hand folks on trailvoy are starting to run into limits on the stock tune.

They say hindsight is 20/20 ... my rearview is foggy.

Getting the engine running was so easy using the stock controls. Just wired, add fuel and go.

However, I come from hacking late 80s to early 90s GM injection where we could do whatever the hardware would support (I have a mazda running a chevy v6 on a sunbird ECM with corvette software). I remember manually coding s/w patches directly in hex. That's flexibility.

The commercial s/w packages don't have that flexibility and it's really tough to be at the mercy of a third party hacker. You're best bet is to know what you want to change in advance and see if the commercial packages can do it. Looks like this is already done.

If I had to start over...I probably would skip the VGT turbo! And I would have definitely have bought Efi's pan (if only it were done when I needed it).

I'm rambling. The point of this post is to say that even though I'm pretty happy with the stock controls, I'm going to be running both! Stock efi for the injectors, coils, and VVT. MS for my bizarre turbo. Best laid plans and all that jazz.