Well after lurking around for a while I finally gave in and created an account. I have a 292 that I want to build and swap into my 72 LWB C10. Before I get started though I like to do research and make sure that I'm going about things in the right way. After all experience is the best teacher and it's best when you get her lessons from the mistakes and success of others :).

My goals with the engine are what I consider modest. I plan on it being a daily driver and am looking to make about 250 hp around 2000 rpm range. These numbers are not set in stone and I'm open to opinions. How I came up with these numbers is that I believe that is enough power for pushing the truck down the interstate at 70-75 mph and still get decent mpg. I don't plan to race the truck so mostly looking to build it and improve on the already awesome low-mid range torque.

I do plan on swapping out the TH350 for a manual when I swap the engine if that makes a difference on how I build the block. Right now I'm considering a SM465 for the tranny although if that doesn't work for my goals then I may look for one with an O/D.

Lastly, for consideration is adding aftermarket intake (offy most likely), 2 or 4 bbl carb (yes I'll have plenty of questions on those later lol) and possibly adding turbo (5-10 lbs of boost) with the intent of setting it up so that it only kicks in on the interstate.

This will be a slow build (as I want to take it one step at a time and have to save my pennies as I go). So my first series of questions deal with prepping the block and are for those members that live in the middle TN area.

Where did you take your inline 6 block to have the machine work done?
What work did you have done and how well of a job did they do?

I'm thinking of do the following:
1. Debur of excess casting flash
2. Chase all threaded holes
3. Clean main oil gallery
4. Replace cam bearings
5. Replace freeze plugs
6. Bore if necessary the minimum amount to get cylinders correct

If there's something else I need to do please let me know. And let me know if I've added items to the list that aren't necessary.

Thanks in advance for your help and input with my build.

J'ai (That's pronounced like Hi; and yes the subject sounds like Hi from TN when pronounced correctly lol......I just love my name :D)

Jaimi