It'll be up to you to select a good block to begin with. You can strip it, check it the best you can and if you find no problems take to s shop for cleaning and magnafluxing. Then take it home and remove the flashing and chase out all the bolt threads. You could do that before you take it to the shop but if they find cracks you have waste the time. If you grind the flashing you will need to clean out everything really well again. Have the shop put in the cam bearings. Have the crank checked. Use the 12 counter waited crank. Stock rods will be fine. LP gas piston will bump the compression some but if you think a turbo is likely just spring for forged pistons now. If you plan on a turbo and just want a good driver don't bother with a big cam. Head work is important. I'd do lumps, 1.86 intakes and 1.60 exhausts and the port work needed to tale advantage of your mods. There are EFI systems that can be adapted with or without a tunable Megasquirt controller. Lots of options for you. I've been stalled on my 292 build for a few years now.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain