I have a block that I've heard run and it runs pretty smoothly and didn't smoke. The only noise I heard was from the lifters and my other 2 inline 6's make that same noise so hopefully I have a good rebuild candidate. Can I visually ins;ect the front 2 cylinders or is that something the machine shop will have to do to ensure they can be brought back into specs?

If it does have to be sleeved is that something I could do or would have to have the shop do?

Bcowanwheels, do you know of any shops in the middle TN area that have experience working on inline 6's and that do good work.

Beater, I was planning on going up to 1.86 intake but leaving the exhaust stock at 1.5 when I got around to having the head machined. Right now I'm just trying to focus on the bottom end and getting that right. I have a tendancy to bounce all over the place and have a ton of 'good' ideas (I'm doing my best not to ask all the questions I have about cams, pistons, headwork, exhaust, carbs, etc lol).

I know that the block I have came out of a 63 chevy and most likely has the forged steel crankshaft with only 6 counter weights. I was hoping to just have it cleaned/balanced and use it since I'm doing what I would call a mild build. Is this asking for problems down the road? If so I'll begin looking for a 12 counterweight one.

Jaimi