Very true Beater and I do have an overall plan but don't want to get locked into it. What may seem like a good idea on paper doesn't always turn out to be a good idea in reality which is why I love forums. Usually anything one wants to try has been tried but I was waiting to throw around those ideas until I got to that part of the build.

Here's what I have planned so far.
Engine: 292 mild build (RV cam, port/polish head, 1.84 intake, 1.5 exhaust, upgraded pistons if necessary)
Intake: Offy
Exhaust: Stock
Carb: unsure and will have lots of questions when making a selection (will probably do TBI later after engine installed)
Turbo: hunting for one of the early 80's buick one I've seen mentioned on the forum here.
Trans: SM465
Rear end: 3.08 gears (I think those would do well both in town and on the interstate behind the SM465)
Tires: 275/65/15

I guess overall I want a truck that is mostly period correct, has good street manners (I live 3 miles from work), does well on the interstate (I go visit family on weekends and that's about 1 1/2 hours away by interstate) and (wait for it) will make people say I CAN'T BELIEVE HE ONLY HAS AN INLINE 6 UNDER THE HOOD (yes we all have a bit of pride lol)

As I said even though these are my plans I'm open to suggestions and advice and don't want to get locked into them if another board member knows of something that would work just as well or better that I haven't thought of or sees a flaw in my overall plan.

Jaimi