Originally Posted By: SCRAPIRON, #4711
Hank, did you do the machine work on your damper or did you buy it ready to go ???

It was just a standard SBC damper & I installed it.
I had to relocate the alternator & power steering pump.
Then I cut the nose off of the water pump pulley and welded on a flat steel plate & spaced that accordingly.

It was a lot of work, but worth the trouble in order to make my 6 cylinder rev high and be able to dampen out the vibes.

Any stock size damper is not going to work good on a 250 & that is the problem of not being able to rev it high.

Tlowes dyno testing shook loose a fluid damper, those are known to have these types of problems on other HP engines also.

Good luck with sticking to a stock damper, it will not work. Been there done that, too many times.

I had suggested in the past for somebody to get a 8" SBC damper & have a machine shop machine "V" belt grooves in one & a member did do that here on the BB, but we never heard back about if it worked good or bad.

If you do this type of mod, then you do not need to relocate your power steering pump, alternator, A/C pump etc, & I would think this would be a much better/easier damper to use & still be much better than a stock size damper, I think the stock damper is just too light for it to work properly @ higher RPMs.

Just my thoughts anyways.

Paul , just try & do some research on any HP higher reving 250 6 cylinder, I don't think you will ever find anyone's project ever use a stock sized damper, I doubt anyone will ever suggest you to use one either, unless you only want to turn less than 5000 RPM.

I am not knocking on Walts damper, I am sure it is fine to use on a standard 250 6.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI