Originally Posted By: intergrated j 78
Why in a cyclone did the trans swap not hurt performance ? Is it because a turbo car or truck is more forgiving ie just make more boost down low to make up for the loss of gear ratio or the more even gear spacing make up for the loss of the 3.06 first gear? Jay 6155

I think if the Syclone had a N/A engine, the results might have been different? Not sure though.

Having a turbo definitely lets the truck push through 2nd gear pretty quick.

The one thing I do not like with the 700R4, is the gear spacing 1st to 2nd, it has a huge RPM drop. But since the Syclones & Typhoons has a lot of torque, it seems to work out just fine.

With my 97 Silverado equipped with the 4l60E trans, the RPMs drop a good amount going into 2nd & it seems a bit longer and lumbering along trying to reach 3rd gear. eek

I think if your engine is sort of weak when it comes to torque output, a 200R4 would be the better gearing to have.

There are companies that make the same ratio gear set as a 200R4 trans that you can install into a 700R4/4L60E/4L65E, so there might be some ET improvment when switching over to a better spaced gear set.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI