It's been a while but an update is in order. I bought an engine stand and rented a hoist the other day and got the engine out.

Today I ripped the engine down to a short block. Everything went really smooth and it helped my engine confidence quite a bit. I don't have a breaker bar so I had to get creative to get enough leverage on some of the bolts (those darn head bolts).

Over the last few days I've been calling around to various Machine shops (off island of course) and have had a wide range of attitudes and prices. Interestingly enough, the shop with the best price is also the most conveniently located and the owner had a great attitude about the project. One of the shops actually said "you really want to throw all you're money at an inline 6?!". Needless to say I won't be taking my engine there. Even the cheaper, friendly shop quoted me $500-1000 for all the parts/labor.

To get quotes, I've been asking for the following:
Hot Tank
Magnaflux
Bore and hone cylinders (Pistons .040 over)
Balance and Polish Crank
Drill and thread crank nose for damper extractor/installer tool
Install Cam Bearings (seems cheaper than buying tool)

Now, I have some concerns about assembly. I can acquire a piston ring compressor but I'm a little hesitant to buy the tools required to degree the camshaft. They are not available for rent here. Other than that, I'm pretty sure I can install the pistons, and torque everything to spec without too much trouble.

Got the engine out and ready for disassembly.

Should I be having the shop "port" these so that large bolt boss is cleared? I've seen TLowes lump port videos showing how the head bolts to the block using a socket and extension through the original top hole.

Pulled the head off to reveal the Piston tops. No obvious sings of damage to me but guess I won't know until the're out and clean.

Machine shop asked me to confirm if the cylinders had been bored before. I don't have a micrometer so... any thoughts?

Got about this far today and pulled the oil pump. Probably pull the pistons out tomorrow, being sure to cover the rod bolts for safety.

So, still a ways to go but it's happening. As a re-cap on the questions...

Should I have the machine shop port the heads?
Do I need to degree the cam or is they're a way around it?
Am I missing any other critical services for a half way accurate quote?

Thanks for your help. Please feel free to add any tips or tricks about the tear down, machine shops or assembly as all I have are books, forums and Youtube; I'd hate to miss something.

Ian