Originally Posted By: stock49
Originally Posted By: gbauer

The machine shop only charged me about $30 to put it on.

Cam gear installation is an easy DIY job. With the magic metallurgy one doesn't even need a press.

For mine I installed the spacer and key into the key-way on the cam and stuck them in the basement deep freeze for a day. The retainer plate also spent the night in there.

In the morning I put the cam gear on the gas grill on high for 20 minutes - to preheat - 600 degrees. I have 4x4x1 square of steel that I use in the shop for various purposes. I put it under the gear to retain heat.

Next the cam and key were put in my bench vise with snout pointing straight up. The retaining plate is then installed. I placed my dead blow hammer at the ready.

I retrieved the cam and hot-block from the grill with my insulated gloves. With a propane torch I finished heating the cam gear hub by going round and round with a high flame on the inside surface for about 30 seconds.

To my surprise the cam gear literally dropped into place - no need for the dead blow . . .

Had I needed to pound the hot square of steel would have gone on top of the gear - to take the blows from the hammer.

Yes but my way the liability was on the machine shop. That's worth $30 to me.