Hi guys...I just bought a completely stock 74 Nova off of a older gentleman two months ago.
It has the 250, which I truly love. Th350 tranny and a 8.5 posi, with I believe might have 3:08's. I never verified this. Only going by a nova resource website that said that's what they put in them.
At present I have 100hp, and 175lbs of torque. which makes it tough where I live with climbing hills.
I'm not after big hp, but would like around 170-190. I know I have seen a lot of bolt on options. Not cheap, but available.
I refuse to go V8, I truly like the 6's.
Here's my confusion.
Although I have a low mileage engine that is very quiet and in great condition, and runs perfect.
I came across a 250 out of a 66 impala, that runs great for a 100 bucks. I looked up the specs and online and everywhere it states 155hp with 235 lbs of torque.
I'm confused because the stroke and bore are the same?? I did see that my compression is 8.25.1 and the 66 250 is 8.51.1
So the compression seems a tiny bit higher. Not sure why?
Is that where the extra 55hp is coming in?
I can't bolt on 55hp for a 100 bucks.
But I've also been told that how they changed the hp ratings over the years? Just confused and need advice. What's the true difference? ..,thank you!!