Originally Posted By: Lifeguard
Originally Posted By: TonyPa

Thank you for the extensive answer!!!

Yes mine is a 10 bolt 8.5 rear. I dont like the 308's in the rear, but they'll have to do for now. I am not racing or anything. Just a daily driver but would like some different size gears later on.

I didn't know my 74 had hardened exhaust seats for unleaded, since I didn't have a cat converter. I keep adding lucas ethanol treatment with every tank full.

The combination you just named is pretty much what I wanted to do. I figure start buying the parts, and once I have everything, then do the work.

My head was replaced right before I bought the car. He had blown the rad, and ended up cracking the head. He bought a used head, and had broughers speed shop check the used head he bought, and had it pressure tested also. Car runs perfect, besides me wanting more hp for hills...etc.

I did have the valve cover off to replace the gasket, he over tightened it...., and the numbers I found were as follows:

J69 towards the front of the engine on the head.
Towards the middle, looked like 1828000

I looked everywhere, but someone on a Nova forum said it appeared to be a 292 head from 69? I dunno. I can't find those numbers anywhere on the net.

I don't see those 390 holleys online anywhere, unless I am just being stupid and getting older. I found a local Offy intake on the craiglist, but he wants 500 bucks. Bit steep for me on a used one.

I should make a chart for that, but Photobucket won't let me post pics on the forum anymore. Still hunting for a free pic host that won't do the same in the future.

From 1972 model year on, they induction hardened the exhaust valve seat so they all run on 87 unleaded after that. But since you have a replacement head off a '69 292, you don't have it.

$500 for a used Offy is ridiculous. I'll look up my parts list on my spreadsheet and post it with links to sources in a few hours.

A running 250 for $100 is not a bad price. The wrecking yard up the road from me wanted $300 for a running 250 Varajet head engine out of an '84 truck. A second head is nice for working on while having a running car.

I used photobucket for years, but it got flakey now. I am going to start using http://imgur.com/.

I never verified if my head is a 292, only went by what someone told me on the number I posted above. I can't find the numbers anywhere.

I thought 500 was way out of control! SO I never even bothered to call and barter with him, not being that high already.

See, thats my thought.. For a 100 bucks, put it on a stand, and pull the head, and mess with the head. And save the bottom end since mine is still in good condition. Or...I guess take my time, and redo the one on the stand completely? I hate making decisions..LOL