Originally Posted By: Lifeguard
Originally Posted By: gbauer
It might be worthwhile to pick up that $100 engine. I believe you have the integrated head. The earlier 250's had the intake and exhaust non-integrated. You can swap the head over, get an Offy intake, mild cam, Langdon split headers and gain a lot of power.

The tough thing for you is that none of that is available for your integrated head. Changing the head opens up a lot more possibilities for bolt-ons that will make a huge difference.

Lumps and valves could be done before you do the swap. This way you're just doing a little at a time and keeping the monthly budget low enough to keep the wife happy.

...you could make the old lower end into a coffee table...

He does NOT have an integrated head. The 1st integrated head is 1975 and 1976. The second version is 1977 and 1978. !979 went back to the non-integrated head for the last year in cars.

The integrated head came with a change to a 2.25" exhaust with a catalytic converter, HEI, and the dual profile camshaft. The only difference between his 1974 engine the 1966 is a slightly less dished piston (0.25 CCs worth). Oh, and the old 1bbl versus the Monojet on his.

Thanks. I was a year off.

In that case just do bolt-ons a little at a time like I did.