Originally Posted By: Lifeguard
Sounds like a reasonable diagnosis. Yeah, keep the bolts and hold downs sorted to which holes they go to, they are not all the same and have a specific order.

Sorry for the delay. I got stuck working 16 hour shifts, because people are lazy and call off work! Ugh!!!

Anyhow! I am wondering when this guy and his buddy did the head gasket, if they mixed them up. I noticed the one nut towards the front of the engine doesn't have much thread.."stud" sticking out of it.

I wasn't sure what you need the new carb for, there wasn't a lot on it as far as enough vacuum ports for everything and and the missing choke linkage and vacuum can that you would have to transfer over? And you said your solenoid was not working, so if that is still the case then you would need a new one with either your current carb or the new one?

I did decide against his carb. If I have to, I may rebuild mine. I see that Mikes carb parts, sells the kits. And even a new float. No solenoid for mine though. I can't find one anywhere.
They all look odd.
My carb that is on there, the numbers come back to a 76 Chevy C10 though, with manual tranny. But I also can't go by that. They seem to just slap a bunch of "mixed bag" parts together sometimes when their rebuilding carbs on a assembly line.

BTW, I think after looking at my carb, yours, and the diagrams I have the passenger side vacuum ports figured out. Starting with the choke vacuum, your can draws from a port that is behind my electric choke, so my can actually draws from another port closer to it. I assume this is a timed vacuum port due to how high up on the carb it is. My carb has two plugged holes below the electric choke, while your's has the EVAP (charcoal) plugged into the top one and the distributor vac adv into the bottom one. On mine and in the '77 diagram the EVAP is located high on the other side and is timed vacuum, while the advance is coming off the low full port that your EGR uses. So my guess is despite how close those two ports on yours is, the upper one is timed for the EVAP and the lower full for the vac adv. Inside, they are drawing vacuum from opposite ends of the carb. For some reason in '73 the EGR was full manifold vacuum, and by '77 at the latest it was timed vacuum. BTW, do you have the EFE flapper valve on the exhaust manifold?

I'll have to see if theres a flapper valve. But I never noticed one. I have that little shell with the hole for the pipe that goes up to the air cleaner. Kinda like from the exhaust, to heat the carb I am guessing. I disconnected my EGR, and plugged that port on the switch on the Thermostat housing. they sure did a lot of moving around with the vac lines over the years.

Turn your phone sideways to widescreen so the viewer can see everything, I like to ogle while I listen. wink I think I hear the change when you spray it. The intake sealing was a common problem on inline Chevys, that's why they went to an integrated head and intake from '75 to '78. But then they had head cracking issues and put the non-integrated top end back on for '79.

I'll take a video and kind of move around the whole engine tomorrow. I'm off tomorrow. I'll rev it up...etc. I need some vac caps. I plugged a few hoses, and it helped a bit. I snugged the intake down again!! Unreal! Anyhow, I will get the new gasket on soon. I was going to actually take a extra day, and wire wheel it, and paint it while its off. I never did one on these motors, so hopefully I don't need a second set of hands while installing the gasket.

I did the exhaust on mine for IntegratedJ because he wanted to know what the Z28 exhaust sounded like on it. I did some under hood video but I guess I didn't upload that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxzW7miIM6s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMySPecpiJA

Thats sounds nice!! I want mine to sound like that. Is that langdon headers, or?? And what kind of mufflers. I can't believe how good that sounds!!

That would be great, I would be watching that!!

I really want to do a tuning how-to video for the inline six when I'm done organizing the garage and got it back together again.

Last edited by Tracker64; 08/14/17 01:42 AM.