Originally Posted By: gbauer
Originally Posted By: Tracker64

I wasn't sure if the Holley 390 would need downjetted for the 250. Still learning.

I did some reading on the cam change, yeah, I seen a guy heating one part, and putting the other in his fridge. I never tried to do a cam in on of these, or adjust the rockers....etc. So I am still a bit nervous about that part.

I am not too surprised about the durability of these motors. I have heard so many people telling me stuff like you stated. These motors are tough!! I like the look and ease of working on the design. I didn't want to drop in a V8, thats kind of the easy way.
I am honestly only seeking about 200 hp, for running around. Well, I know me, the following year, I'll be searching for more horsepower..LOL

The 390 works well. A little tinkering will match it to the engine perfectly.

Cam: Just do what I did: take the old and new cams (and new timing gear!) to a local machine shop and let them put the cam gear on. They have the equipment to do it quickly and correctly. I was lucky and had a really good one around the corner from my house (well about 10 minutes away...) that loved my little 6er and liked when I brought her over. Bought all my oil and carb stuff from him too. He did the cam gear swap for about $20 if I recall but I'm sure that was special pricing. Regardless it'd be less than $50 most likely.

Thats good news on the 390. I thought they needed rejetted. Sounds like some adjustments then.

I'll have to ask around about some machine shops near me. If I go with a cam. I do want to stay reliable but im sure a mild cam would help too.

I'm pretty sure about mid December I mqy have about 1500 to work with. So I'll have to see how far I can strech that on the motor.

Thr exhaust pipes and mufflers dont need to be in that budget above there.