Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
N
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
N
Been looking for a work truck (farm type work, pulling stock trailers up to 7000# GVW and round bailes 1200# on and off road). I may have found one I like, 91/92 model 300 6 for a good price ($1400) just one little problem - its got an automatic and that just won't do. Now I'm mechanically adept but far from a master mechanic. I've replaced a couple transmissions and clutches, did an inframe on an old 250 Cummins and pulled the engine on my old corvair more times than I can count. Now I'm starting to convince myself that I could pull that automatic and put in a 4spd manual myself, I mean how hard could that be? I doubt that Ford made a separate cab for auto vs standard so there should be knock outs for the clutch pedal and shifting tower, right? And if not, hell a few minutes with a sawsall and a rubber boot and I'm set. I'm thinking I gould probably get the bellhousing, clutch and tranny at the local automotive recycling center for a couple bills and I'm started. The trans that is already in it (the auto) should be bigger than the manual so I don't think fit should be a problem just adapting the drive shaft. I'm starting to lie awake nights thinking about how I would do this. Any advice, warnings, suggestions? This is your last chance to stop me.

cogito ergo sum
J
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
J
Dear Nickle;

Those kind of 'projects' can be a nightmare.

See if you can find a Ford truck with a stick in it from the factory & compair. That would answer some of the questions.

I'm not a big Ford fan but a 1 ton with duels is what your going to need & they should have a 4spd. auto for those.

Good luck, John M....

John M., I.I. #3370

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going". -Anon

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 296 guests, and 41 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available