Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
K
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
K
I have been running a Pertronix on my 65 Bel Air 230 for the last few years with great results. Early last week, the engine started having occasional stuttering. Then on Thursday I barely made it home....running terrible.

A little troubleshooting showed that my dizzy rotor was loose (rotationally) on the shaft. I could rotate it quite a few degrees without the shaft moving. When I looked inside the rotor, I could see that the notch in the top of the shaft had barely engaged the anti-rotation spline in the rotor and had worn it until it was sloppy.

Turns out the Pertronix magnet collar was keeping the rotor from going all the way down the shaft as it is supposed to and the rotor spline was not fully engaging the notch. So I bought a new cap and rotor and sanded the bottom of the rotor to shorten it a little. Went all the way on the shaft and fit tight. Runs great again.

Oh, one more thing. I noticed the magnet collar did not fit on the dizzy lobes as tight as it should. At the recommendation of a Tech guy at Pertronix, I removed the magnet collar and used a hot soldering iron to very lightly melt a slight line in each of the 6 flats on the inside of the collar. The light melting upset a little plastic on each flat and caused the collar to fit the lobes nice and snug.

Learned a lot about Pertronix today. Works great again and now probably will for a long time.

Good day to all.

K5Carrillo
V
Contributor
Contributor
V
Cool, thanks.

1000 Post Club
Online Content
1000 Post Club
Thanks. I'll check the one I pulled. That's the was it was acting.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
do you have any pics of what you did?

Originally Posted By: k5carrillo
I have been running a Pertronix on my 65 Bel Air 230 for the last few years with great results. Early last week, the engine started having occasional stuttering. Then on Thursday I barely made it home....running terrible.

A little troubleshooting showed that my dizzy rotor was loose (rotationally) on the shaft. I could rotate it quite a few degrees without the shaft moving. When I looked inside the rotor, I could see that the notch in the top of the shaft had barely engaged the anti-rotation spline in the rotor and had worn it until it was sloppy.

Turns out the Pertronix magnet collar was keeping the rotor from going all the way down the shaft as it is supposed to and the rotor spline was not fully engaging the notch. So I bought a new cap and rotor and sanded the bottom of the rotor to shorten it a little. Went all the way on the shaft and fit tight. Runs great again.

Oh, one more thing. I noticed the magnet collar did not fit on the dizzy lobes as tight as it should. At the recommendation of a Tech guy at Pertronix, I removed the magnet collar and used a hot soldering iron to very lightly melt a slight line in each of the 6 flats on the inside of the collar. The light melting upset a little plastic on each flat and caused the collar to fit the lobes nice and snug.

Learned a lot about Pertronix today. Works great again and now probably will for a long time.

Good day to all.

K
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
K
Sorry, I didn't think about pics at the time. For the rotor, it was pretty straight forward, I just measured the length of exposed dizzy shaft above the magnet wheel and the depth of my rotor inner diameter. In my case I think I had 0.450 shaft length but 0.483 rotor depth. So I sanded about 0.040 off of the rotor so it would sit all the way down on the shaft and get good engagement of the spline.

As for the magnet wheel fix, I just made a light melt stripe on each of the six internal flats. All that is needed is a very light melt line as this will upset the plastic enough.

Sorry again about the lack of pics.

K5Carrillo

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (stock49), 416 guests, and 51 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available