Hi,
I have been working on my 53 chevy Club Coupe. recently my sister decided to sell it and I purchased it back from her. It had the 235 motor that was out of my station wagon. I changed the carb put a Holly Weber 2bll Progressive in it and a HEI distributor from a 230/250 motor, 3 speed tranny and original rear end 4:10 gears. Driving it back to Albuquerque from Colorado doing 65 to 75 miles per hour I used just over 9 gals of gas for 225 miles which came to 25 MPG.
Since then I have changed the motor. I put a full pressured 235 built 12/21/53 and was out of a 54 chevy. This engine was completely rebuilt a 3 speed standard with overdrive, 57 rear end with 3:54 gears. The engine has a H/W 2bll progressive carb the same HEI dist that was in the other engine, with Fenton headers duel glass packs. Now that you have the back ground on what I have in it now to my questions.

I believe I have the dist. mounted correctly. I turned the engine until the ball lined up to the pointer set at # 1 cylinder and pulled the original dist out. I put the HEI in the same way I pulled the original. The main problem I am having is setting up the vaccuum advance. when I put in a rubber hose from the carb to the dist. the engine pops and does not run, does not have any power. I have it disconnected at this time. The engine runs just ok it is lacking power, it fires up easy every time, 12 volt system. I have played with the timing a number of times setting it fron 5 to 30 degrees advance. I believe it is currently set around 15 degrees advanced. The engine does not have the power it should and is not doing well on the gas milage. If anyone has experience with the HEI dist. in the 235 engine that may have some ideas that might help I would be thankful.

Thanks in advance Steve