Bill, Sounds like you are off to a good start with your project.I've been reading Leo's book AND gleaning much advice from the guys on the BB.
I'm no expert,but this much I've learned: Don't have high expectations of building something beyond your capabilities.Set reasonable,achieveable goals.This varies from one person to the next,depending on finances,time to invest in your project,what work you will pay someone to do vs. what you can do yourself,etc.
Walt has made the point of suggesting to us gearheads to not try to do everything all at once.For me,this means just get my truck running for now.Eventually there will be an engine rebuild at some future time.But in the meantime I will be fine tuning my ideas as to what I want to do to the engine internally.For the past couple of months I've been buying parts,a little here,a little there,so that when the weather warms up some,I'll be ready to attain the goal I've set for myself....have the truck running and hopefully back on the road by the end of next summer. ;\) If time allows,I may do some sheetmetal work on the cab...but only after the motor fires and a brake job is done.BTW...I chose to go with the Offy intake,4bbl Edelbrock 500cfm,and long tube headers.Keeping the trusty ol' points-n-condenser distributor for now,but may upgrade to HEI later.AND,if everything works out will be doing a tranny swap too.
I think you'll be pleased with the 292.Both my 2 dr. Novas had the 194 and 230,and the '75 4 dr. had a 250 in it.They were all fine for that size car,but would be just a tad underpowered for a long bed P/U. So...glad you've got the bug to work on your truck,hope this helps.Keep us posted on how things come along.Happy New Year!
God Bless you,

Frank
-------------
'69 Chevy C-20
292 4 spd. OD Offy intake Edelbrock 500cfm long tube headers 4:56 rears