The 4:11s will go back in after the nationals. The stiffer gears are just for the nationals. I trailer the car, it is 800 miles and 12 hours so that would be, well difficult, with the 4:11s,
lol.

The stock three speed for 57 has a first gear of like 2:92. Stock rear gearing from the factory with stick in 57 is 3:55. So an effective first gear of 10.36. If you just swamped in a standard GM M22 with its 2:20 first gear you would have an effective first gear of 7.81. Not so good for an inline motor. With a 2.54 first gear you are at 9.01. Still not great. You lose that gear multiplication so necessary to get the car off and running. Fine if you have 400 hp. Not so fine when you have 175 hp.

The M-22Z is aftermarket. You can purchase the M22Z gearset from AutoGear and rebuild your existing Muncie M-20, 21 0r 22, the gears can be retrofitted. The M22Z has a first gear ratio of like 2:94 so with the stock 3:55 you are right at 10.43. I ran a sag 3:11 first gear for a number of years just that reason, with stock 3:55 you are at 11.04. But while those transmissions are at least as strong as the small peanut chevy three speed, they generally can not take a huge amount of abuse. Notwithstanding, the sag is a really good choice if you are trying to be careful with the bread and you dont heap any abuse on the transmission. Frankly, I see completly rebuilt sags in the 700-800 range. A used sag is like 300-400, rebuild kit at 100, new forks about 175. So about 575-675 if you are rebuilding your self. Not terrible for a rebuilt 4 speed with a decent first gear ratio.

I needed/wanted something that could take a little abuse so I ran the sag while I saved and then put the M22Z in. With the 4:11s I am at 12.08 for the first gear and its not a granny gear by any means. The car gets moving right away. Just as an aside, the Italian M22Z gear sets are machined to a way closer tolerance than the original GM M-22 gear sets and are thus quieter than the original sets. So you get a bit of a whine, but much more tolerable.

I really like the transmission. I used a used case, rebushed, used main shaft, all new gears, bearings, mid plate, retainer, forks, small parts. I would post photos but I have no photo host and I can not post directly from my photo library. If you like an old school feel for your car, its a pretty good transmission. That being said, I think you can buy one brand new, everyting including the case, for like 2600 or so. Much better then the $5000 transmissions that seem to be the rage these days.

Last edited by mdonohue05; 07/07/22 01:26 PM.