The rod (#5 in the second set of pictures) appears to be the choke pull off rod and should be attached to the flat spring mounted to the manifold just below and to the right of the float bowl in the picture (you might want a new one as that one looks kinda thrashed).

The solenoid (#1 same picture) is to add idle speed when something draws more power (HP) do you have AC perhaps?

I would put a longer piece of hose there (#1 last batch of carb photos) as it is kinking the one there.

It's probably not your problem but I DESPIZE aluminum terminal caps. I had one that was less than a year old that made the engine run poorly on my Dodge (318 / 5.2 V whatchamacallit but same principle)it was idling rough and wouldn't accelerate like it should (or tow worth a darn). I replaced the cap and rotor with a Neihoff brand brass terminal cap and the rotor that went with it(Shucks) for $13. It cured the problem and has lasted for the last 4 years. I should probably change it again as I'm sure it's due, but it's still working.

My, what a steep learning curve. Erik II#5155