LGriffin,
Thanks for the phone call. I really appreciate it and you cleared some things up for. I'll let you know how it works out.

John M.,

I envy your knowledge and experience and that of the other Inliners. I realize it may be frustrating for some of you that I ask so many questions. I apologize for this. I am trying to learn as much as possible - someday I hope to have the knowledge that will allow me to confidently do a few of these things on my own without help. The only way that I will be able to do this is if I ask questions to help me understand how this engine works. If I just do what someone tells me and don't understand what I'm doing or why I'm doing it, it's not going to help me down the road.

On another forum, I was told to line up the timing marks, set the distributor to #1 and adjust the first group of valves. I pulled off the side covers for re-assurance. When I pulled them off, I did not see what I expected to see. I am trying to clarify why my understanding is flawed. Someone else on the same forum is telling me to pull the cam gear and rotate the crank 180 degrees before re-installing the cam.

I realize that it is difficult to help someone 'over the internet,' especially someone with my limited abilities and knowledge. But I honestly don't have much choice but to do it this way. I moved to California from NH - I don't know many people. Most of the people I know drive hondas and toyotas and bring their cars to a shop (which I can't afford to do). The 1 or 2 'car people' that I have met haven't worked on inlines and their typical response is that I should 'stop messing around with the boat anchor and put a 350 in it.'

Thanks for the help everyone.