MAy have been tght to begin with is oftea roblem in rebuilds. An engine use in severe service which a hi perf engine is should have nothing snug . I make sure my pins will fall through the pistons and the bushings if full floated on thier own when turned sideways. if they dont I make them so they willl but you probably already did that.
I do not suscribe to the ligtt pil for breakin club. I use in my engines and have for years 40 weight and if it is in the hogh 90F degrees when we are racing 50 weight. The most wear occurs when frst started so that is really when you need the most protection. I prelue the engine before starting anf amake sure it fires immediately by double checking timing and pefilling the carbs with a syringe down the vent tubes so it will fire immediately.
I haveri un accross an idea that os going around that sugggests one roll the engine over on the stater till oil pressure comes then start. This is the worst oine could do and has runed many a motor. (and camshaft as well) I guess all you can doi know is clan it up and sart of=ver with fresh rings and bearings. If it was a frsh rebore Moly ring are best. hastings is my preference. Nobody makes a better oil ring/ Chrome rings just as a note are notoriuos for burning oil. Another problem can be the gentle breakin idea. I tell my cstomers once I have fired it broken the cam in a 2000 plus for 20 minutes, then changed oil and filter while it was hot r to remove Assembly greases and any dust and such that got in during the assembly period to then drive it like they stole it or as the Ring manufacturer says drive as it would be drivin i its intended use. Rings need a bit of abuse to seat in . Babying a new mtor for a 1000 miles or so is a sure fire way to have an oil burner.
Yeah you are right too occasionally but not very often crap seems to just happen.
Anyway I wish you the very est . You have a very interesting project there andI see it is no trailer queen but is driven as it should be.
Best wishes
D