My 51 Chevrolet car has 1955 235 engine with 216 Bell Housing set up. Its all new and works good with electronic ignition. My rear end is another story. It was noisy and the ring gear teath were broken. I bought a 1954 235 rear end and put all the rear and drive shaft in my old housing and managed to break those teeth. I went this morning and picked up a used Saginaw 3 speed and rear housing off of 1955 Chevrolet. I have the original Bell Housing and Clutch that came with the 235 engine but have had the 216 transmission rebuilt and all new 216 clutch and pressure plate and 6 volt starter. I sure hate to take that all out in order to do the open drive shaft.
A couple questions I have after reading the posts here that I am a little unclear about.
1. Does, in fact, using the 235 bell housing cause problems with the clutch operation?
2. Do I really have to cut out the old transmission cross member in order to put in the Saginaw 3 speed? or is it possible the saginaw will clear it.
3. What is going to support my new Transmission. If I use the 235 Bell Housing which has side mounts on it, that I assume some modification will have to be done to have something to bolt those to. Is this enough support for the Transmission or does it need something under it.
4. Will my 51 rear springs work with the rear axel pearches on the 55 or do I need to go with 55-57 springs and mounts?
5. Do I use a 55-57 Drive Shaft and are any modifications needed. The output shaft on the Saginaw is 27 spline. The 10 spline in front is ok.
I just can't bolt the saginaw to the 216 bell housing which is what I prefer.