hello....well stock49 you are pretty close....

As far as not being familar with this concept, many know this, many dont....
for those needing another source to verify this contact Tom Langdon.....
I also confirmed this with the Race engine builder who built my 292 race shortblock.....

DUI distributors in Memphis-ask for David-he knows me as "2 peice shaft guy"( for some of the 2 peice shafts GM used on these distro's-)

PES is familar with this also....

what this has to do with is-the rotor lining up with post on cap-some are,most rotors do NOT...if rotor is off -which is basically "connected" to cam, then timing will be off- and yes the engine will run, but not effiently- hope this helps....
ask specific questions..........I will answer-yes this is simple, but when i got into racing last yr i was introduced to it- but it didny mean much then-an engine with an out of phase distributor will run , but not as good as it could....

John M.-yes what happens inside of cap is EXTREMELY important-

this problem occurs when the plate is pressed on incorrectly on the shaft-if it is off and not pressed on at right place in conjunction with where gear falls on cam, then timing can be off...

I find this intriging-I checked 6 distributors-4 of mine, at 2 at AutoZone....

Again, contact Tom Langdon to verify.....

or DUI-they said an GM HEI in phase distribuor does not need a "box"-"boxes" are only band aids for an out of phase distributor due to the fact that the sparks duration is longer which makes up for this misalignment of the rotor and cap.....

if this is new to you, dont "kill the messenger".....