Thanks for the input(s). Lots of valuable information to digest.

My motor is a 1955 230 with OD. It has the studs already installed for the head. Also has a split exhaust with dual old time glasspacks. (nice sound too)

So far I have Tom's electric choke carbs, HEI dist. and his T-5 trans adapter kit. I'm on the waiting list for the headers. 12 volt altenator has been ordered along with wiring kit. I'm going thru the T-5 now to see whats needed.

I've seen a little discussion on the board by Hud 1 regarding unshrouding the valves for increased performance but it doesn't seem to be worthwhile or done on inlines much. We used to do it to V-8 flathead Ford blocks in the 60's and then install Oldsmobile valves (Big!) If I had an extra block I would give it a try just to satisfy my curiousity, along with a full race cam.

How would I find George Ashe? He sounds like someone I need to talk to.

Don, do you recall the track width on the 8-1/4 differential you installed and what car it came from? Secondly, is there a performance advantage to using BowTie slugs and valves?

I'm going to try a little different approach to determine what width axle I need because I'm going to run a good size tire in back. I want to get my wheels and tires first. With the old axle removed I plan on locating the tires in the wheel wells for best fit, then taking a measurment off the back of the wheel mounting surface for the correct axle width. Next, look for a MoPar axle that is hopefully very close to that. It would also have to be adaptable to disc brakes.

Once again, if you live in California, the choices are limited because most of the good stuff is long gone.

Don, If you go to www.picturetrail.com/elplymino I have some pictures of El Plymino.
Don

------------------
Stuck in the 50's
1951 Ply Concord truck
1954 Nash Rambler 2 dr
http://www.picturetrail.com/elplymino

1951 Ply Concord truck
1954 Nash Rambler 2 dr
1955 Nash Rambler Farina