Thanks for all the info so far.

gearhead - on first attempt at a parts store, they did not have the proper manual, but so far I have found the specs I need on the net. I'll start with the comp test and go from there. I have a mechanic in mind if I need help with the valves. If I remember correctly from my last '66, the lash needs to be adjusted while idling. These are solid lifters, I believe?

Titen - I did that and that's what has me confuzzled. It runs a little rough with poor acceleration in the wrong order and terribly / barely at all / backfiring in the correct order. It actually ran reasonably well (somewhat noisily, like it needed a valve adjustment) when I brought it home, but the first thing I did (other that cleaning up some gunk under the hood) was clean and gap the plugs, and then poured some water down the carb while running to clean (a friend showed me this tip, but may be a bad idea - any info would help here as well.)

Nexxussian - as I stated above, it ran reasonable well (in the wrong order) until I got it home and started tinkering. Now it runs worse in the wrong order (idles not too bad, but poor acceleration), and barely at all in the proper order.

Also, just occurred to me that I cleaned up the ignition wires, and possibly damaged one or more, so I may try pulling one at a time to check for any change in idle.

Thanks again (again)

1966 Chevy C20 292